This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

please bring back shoutcast even if it's buggy

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
aapgorilla
Registered Member
OS
Shoutcast has been removed from amarok :(( this is terrible a half working buggy feature is infinitely better than no feature, please bring back shoutcast
jefferai
It has nothing to do with bugs, and everything to do with Shoutcast changing their licensing terms. They strongarmed VideoLan, forcing removal of Shoutcast features from VLC, and rather than wait to be next we (and several other projects) simply removed support.
aapgorilla
Registered Member
OS
jefferai wrote:It has nothing to do with bugs, and everything to do with Shoutcast changing their licensing terms. They strongarmed VideoLan, forcing removal of Shoutcast features from VLC, and rather than wait to be next we (and several other projects) simply removed support.

do you have some more info on this?
jefferai
Nothing I can make public right now, sorry.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
jefferai wrote:It has nothing to do with bugs, and everything to do with Shoutcast changing their licensing terms. They strongarmed VideoLan, forcing removal of Shoutcast features from VLC, and rather than wait to be next we (and several other projects) simply removed support.

In which version?? I don't use shoutcast myself but I do see it available in the configuration menu of 2.1.85.

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
jefferai
The just-released RC, 2.1.90.
drinkingcoffee
Registered Member
too bad that the licensing is preventing shoutcast support...
maybe a work-around would be a shoutcast applet that (like the wikipedia applet) displays shoutcast web page. Surely that can't be against their TOS, as otherwise I wouldn't be able to use firefox with shoutcast either...

I suppose, of course, that I can just use a web browser instead, but it's nice to have things in one place.
nhn
KDE Developer
OS
Also, there is nothing stopping someone from implementing shoutcast support as a scripted service.

"a half working buggy feature is infinitely better than no feature" <- on general principle I have to strongly disagree with that sentiment though. :-)
aapgorilla
Registered Member
OS
the script does not appear to be indexed nor searchable though I do not know if this is a limitation of the script or script engine
drinkingcoffee
Registered Member
aapgorilla wrote:the script does not appear to be indexed nor searchable though I do not know if this is a limitation of the script or script engine

Are you talking about the icecast service script?
That's unrelated to the shoutcast service.

From here: http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Icecast.org+Directory+Service?content=108337 it seems that it's not indexable/searchable because the icecast directory server doesn't allow for search queries.
Alejandro Nova
Registered Member
OS
It's interesting to see how Shoutcast is shooting itself in its foot. The Classic Shoutcast API is being destroyed, and the new page, http://www.shoutcast.com, limits your radio search to 20 radios. I suggest the following course of action, now that I know the whole story.

1. Remove Shoutcast service - DONE.
2. Make a QtWebkit plasmoid for Amarok, with the http://www.shoutcast.com page, not installed by default, and retrievable through GNHS and kde-apps.org. The user who wants to use Shoutcast can do it, after HE accepts the EULA.
3. Make an Icecast service, searchable, and raise it to a first-class citizen. Like Shoutcast was, but better (Suggestion: we download the complete directory, index it locally, and search it like a collection; it shouldn't be difficult to do, even if Icecast doesn't support searches)

This is what makes most sense.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
I like the idea of creating a built-in Icecast service as a replacement. I'm not sure when we will find time to do it, so patches are welcome.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
leonder
Registered Member
OS
root@leonderbook:~# aptitude show amarok
Пакет: amarok
Новый: да
Состояние: установлен
Автоматически установлен: нет
Версия: 2.2.0-1
Приоритет: необязательный
Раздел: sound
Сопровождающий: Modestas Vainius <modestas@vainius.eu>
Размер в распакованном виде: 22,4M
Зависимости: amarok-common (= 2.2.0-1), amarok-utils (= 2.2.0-1), phonon-backend-xine | phonon-backend,
kdebase-runtime (>= 4:4.3.0), kdelibs5 (>= 4:4.3.1), libc6 (>= 2.4),
libcurl3-gnutls (>= 7.16.2-1), libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1), libgcrypt11 (>= 1.4.2),
libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.14.0), libgpod4-nogtk (>= 0.7.0) | libgpod4 (>= 0.7.0),
libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.8.0), liblastfm0 (>= 0.4.0~git20090710), libloudmouth1-0 (>=
1.1.4-2), libmtp8 (>= 0.3.1), libmysqlclient16 (>= 5.1.36), libphonon4 (>=
4:4.3.0), libplasma3 (>= 4:4.2.98), libqt4-dbus (>= 4:4.5.2), libqt4-network (>=
4:4.5.2), libqt4-script (>= 4:4.5.2), libqt4-sql (>= 4:4.5.2), libqt4-svg (>=
4:4.5.2), libqt4-webkit (>= 4:4.5.2), libqt4-xml (>= 4:4.5.2), libqtcore4 (>=
4:4.5.2), libqtgui4 (>= 4:4.5.2), libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1), libstreamanalyzer0 (>=
0.7.0), libstreams0 (>= 0.7.0), libtag-extras1 (>= 1.0.1), libtag1c2a (>= 1.6-2~),
libxml2 (>= 2.7.4), phonon (>= 4:4.5.2), zlib1g (>= 1:1.1.4), libqtscript4-core,
libqtscript4-gui, libqtscript4-network, libqtscript4-xml, libqtscript4-sql,
libqtscript4-uitools
Рекомендуются: kdemultimedia-kio-plugins (>= 4:4.2.0)
Предлагаются: libqt4-sql-sqlite, libqt4-sql-mysql, libqt4-sql-psql
Конфликтуют: amarok-engine-xine (< 2), amarok-engine-yauap (< 2)
Описание: простой в использовании медиапроигрыватель на базе KDE4
Amarok — многофункциональный музыкальный проигрыватель с понятным интерфейсом. Позволяет проигрывать вашу
любимую музыку; найти новую музыку стало проще, чем раньше! Amarok основан на технологичной платформе
Qt4/KDE4 и хорошо интегрируется с рабочим столом KDE.

Много сил было потрачено для интеграции в Amarok 2 различных веб-сервисов:
* Ampache
* сервис Jamendo
* Last.fm
* Librivox
* MP3tunes
* Magnatune
* каталог подкастов OPML
* каталог радиостанций Shoutcast

Впечатляющие возможности Amarok:
* Сценарии — улучшите свою работу в Amarok с помощью сценариев, разработанных сообществом.
* Динамические списки песен — создайте автоматически обновляемые списки песен.
* Context View - измените интерфейс с помощью Plasma Context View.
* PopUp Dropper - простота выполнения действий перетаскиванием объектов с новой системой меню.
* Перевод на разные языки.
* Управление коллекциями — очень упростилась работа с музыкальными коллекциями благодаря таким
возможностям Amarok как: расстановка меток, переименование и сортировка.
* Импорт базы данных — импорт коллекций из Amarok 1.4 или iTunes.
* Работа с сервисами из сценариев позволяет интегрировать другие веб-сервисы с Amarok.
Сайт: http://amarok.kde.org
leonder
Registered Member
OS
Please pay attention to the fact that in the description of the package announced availability of support "shoutcast".

I do not care about licensing subtleties. It worries me that when I update my system with debian lenny to debian testing I got a new amarok, which is absent very important for me to service, for which I used amarok (shoutcasts).

I am sorry, my knowledge of English is poor, I use "Google Translatoid"
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, you will need to accept it, since we as the Amarok Team have to respect the legal conditions.
The user can of course override this with a script, for example, but don't expect the Amarok Team to not respect licensing issues.

Also, your previous post is close to useless for us, since everything is in Russian.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...