This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok hangs on NFS server goes down

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pavel
Registered Member
OS
I use my wife's computer to store music. She shares music by NFS.

When she turn computer off, Amarok hangs (and plasma panel goes by). If I try to unmount the NFS resource, I cannot, because it is used by Amarok.

The only way is to kill Amarok, unmount NFS filesystem and start Amarok again to use my local files.

pavel, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Which Amarok version are you using?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
This is not Amarok's fault assuming the share has been mounted using the mount command as root. Unix applications will hang when trying to access ( even changing into a directory ) a mounted network share where the server has shutdown / become unresponsive. Try with Konsole. It will also be affected.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
pavel
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:Which Amarok version are you using?

amarok-2.1.1-33.1

bcooksley wrote:Unix applications will hang when trying to access ( even changing into a directory ) a mounted network share where the server has shutdown / become unresponsive. Try with Konsole. It will also be affected.

But I cannot unmount the share while it is used by Amarok.

pavel, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Dec.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Not being able to unmount a medium while it is in use is a standard feature of all operating systems. While running on Linux, Amarok is a "UNIX" application, same for all of KDE.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
Try umount with -l parameter (Lazy Unmount). Read umount man page for more info.

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.