This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

File import to music collection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
dridde
Registered Member
OS

File import to music collection

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:18 pm
Although i'm not a kde user anymore for a few years i still used amarok to manage my music collection and as one of the best music players i know. Never really liked rhythmbox. Since i use debian testing i had to upgrade from amarok 1.4 to amarok2 and now i've got some questions. I don't know if i'm using it wrong or if the features aren't in amarok anymore.

Here is my use-case:
Whenever i got new mp3s i dragged them from the file manager into amarok's playlist and - if needed - edited the id3-tags. After that i right-clicked on the playlist entrys and selected "Manage Files -> Move Track to Collection..." to have them moved into my Music-Folder following my folder and file naming scheme.

After i have upgraded to amarok2, it seems there is no "Manage Files" anymore, if the files aren't already in my music collection. After playing around with playlist-layouts that it looks similar to amarok1.4 ones, i'm also missing things like "write for all tracks" and "write for selected tracks" for id3-tag editing. (Not being able to modify column width without changing it in tzhe layout is very odd btw.)

Am i doing something wrong, is there a way to use amarok2 the way i used amarok1 or are these features unimplemented/unwanted?

Kind regards,
dridde
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: File import to music collection

Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:24 pm
Well, I don't know which version of Amarok 2 you are using, but what you describe works quite fine here. BTW, Amarok 2.2 is to be released this week :)

But, since Amarok is a music player and not a mass-tagging application, you should consider using kid3 or easytag for mass-tagging, it's much faster. Editing a few tags every now and then in Amarok works fine, though.

And last but not least, you should give KDE 4.3.1 a try, you will like it :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...