This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2.2 nuked part of my music collection

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
PvtCupcakes
Registered Member
OS
I just upgraded to Amarok 2.2 in Gentoo, and I scanned my music files into Amarok and some of my music got nuked.

I'll try to explain my folder structure.
I have ~/music where all of my music is. I have a few "artist" folders.
For example, I have a Disturbed folder. In that folder are album folders. Amarok appears to have taken one song out of ~/music/Disturbed/The Sickness/ and put it in ~/music and renamed it to "The Sickness," it has no file extension, but Dolphin knows that it's an MP3 file. I can open the file with a music player and it plays the song "Shout 2000" which is the song that is missing from ~/music/Disturbed/The Sickness/

I also have some folders like ~/music/misc which contains mp3 files with no subfolders that was untouched.

I think this is a pretty serious error that slipped through the beta.
In summary, Amarok messes up big time when scanning subdirectories.

Edit:
Not sure if I made it clear. But it's not just ~/music/Disturbed/The Sickness, it's all folders in my Disturbed folder, and any folder in ~/music that has subdirectories.
PvtCupcakes
Registered Member
OS
Corrction: It messed up first level directories too. I just didn't notice right away.

Some of the directories got messed up, some didn't...
PvtCupcakes
Registered Member
OS
Okay, so I ended up with 3 corrupt files. The rest were just moved and renamed but still worked.

It only affected my MP3 Files. It didn't touch my oggs.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Just to make it clear to other users: this is not Amarok's fault. Just don't us the "Organize Files" option if you don't know what it is doing. The dialog shows you what is going to happen, so just don't use it.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
I really like this kind of subject lines.
Reminds me of headlines in the rainbow press.
Seems, the problem is sitting in front of the computer here.
Amarok never ever moves any files around, if you don't use the "Organize Files" option.
Perhaps there should be a "caution" pop-up or "use with care" suffix in the menu to avoid DAUs to use it.

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
PvtCupcakes
Registered Member
OS
I didn't even see an Organize Files option anywhere.
Where is that Option? I still can't find it.

And is that option really supposed to move a file out of a directory and rename it? And possibly corrupt it? The files that got moved weren't even showing up in my collection.

Last night I tried reproducing this, but I couldn't. I tried v2.2.0, and the latest git and they both worked. But I'm still certain that it was Amarok because my files weren't like that before. I didn't use Amarok 2.1.x.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Right click in the collection browser; on whole collection or a node doesn't matter.
It's called "Organise files" btw.

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
PvtCupcakes
Registered Member
OS
Oh yeah, I do remember messing with that. I thought it has a completely different purpose. I didn't like how Amarok's collection browser organized everything by artist, so I tried organizing by album.

I still don't understand why it was moving out a file and renaming it. Seems pretty dumb to me. The files it moved weren't showing up in my collection either. And like I said before, I ended up with 3 corrupt files.
PvtCupcakes
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok, I posted a patch for this issue on amarok-devel last night.

http://mail.kde.org/pipermail/amarok-de ... 05189.html

The biggest issue was that SqlCollectionLocation wasn't creating the right directory. It was trying to make the collection root directory instead of root/album. And secondly, it was copying a .mp3 file to root/album. But just like the unix cp command works it was making the mp3 file root/album instead of root/album/song.mp3