This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

single database in sync between multiple computers? amarok 2

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jetpeach
Registered Member
I'm sorry if this has been addressed previously- I searched the forum and google and there was much information about this in 1.4 and it was hard to find information about what'd I'd like to do for amarok 2, which i'm using.

here's the goal: have generally the same music collection on my 4 kubuntu computers, and have them set up to use one database. e.g., so if i change the rating on a song on one computer, all the computers would be updated with the new rating.

i read a post saying adding this functionality was part of the reason to move to MySql, but i also read that because amarok 2 doesn't yet support an external mysql database that it isn't yet possible.

could someone enlighten me as to a) is this currently possible in amarok 2? b) if so, is there a site or tutorial that could guide me in setting this up? if not, could a few kind words of advice be given on the matter?

if there isn't yet a guide but i find a nice way to do this, i'll keep this post updated with nice instructions for future people who may want to enable the same sort of setup- i think it is (or will be if it's not yet implemented) a really awesome feature in amarok. currently, i manually rsync my database between computers to import my ratings etc, but it's quite tedious at times and doesn't really allow "syncing" across computers easily at all...

THANKS! jetpeach
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Check out Amarok 2.2, the support for an external MySQL database has been added there.

As for a tutorial, currently there is none, and I am not the right person to help you with that as I know close to nothing about external databases, sorry

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
You need Amarok 2.2 and a running MySQL server on one of your PCs.
All PCs must have the right to access the server via tcp/ip.
Connect to the server (assuming from the PC running MySQL):
Code: Select all
$mysql -h localhost -u root -p

Enter the password (initially none is set here, so just hit return)
Code: Select all
mysql>create database amarokdb;
mysql>grant all on amarokdb.* to 'amarokuser'@'%' identified by 'password';
mysql>flush privileges;
mysql>quit;

Replace password with the password for the user (or leave it empty)
Start amarok2 and go to Settings->Database->Use External Database
After clicking "OK" Amarok will build the tables by itself and fill them with data.
Now enter the equal informations for database name, username, password and host on the other PCs and try connecting.

If you run into trouble, ask or take a look at the MySQL reference.

m0nk

Last edited by Dieter Schroeder on Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
jetpeach
Registered Member
thanks for the responses! since i'm running jaunty now i'll wait for 2.2 in karmic when i switch in a couple weeks, then test this out and see how it goes.
thanks for the feedback!