This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2 on Linux Mint 6 felicia

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
abuelopaul
Registered Member
OS

Amarok 2 on Linux Mint 6 felicia

Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:37 pm
Hi to all, I'm new here so apologies if my q is a little basic.
I changed to Linux in March this year after 20+ yrs with MS, installing Mint 6 as an easy changeover from MS.
I love it, all of it. As you know, Amarok is part of the bundle, but v.1.4.10
Consequently I need to know if there is any mileage to downloading the latest version 2 and would it perform well.
I believe my distro uses Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex.
Also, is it possible to modify the other panels in 1.4.10 other than the context panel? I've already managed to get round the re-colouring of icons to match my desktop scheme.
thnx for a great product,

Paul
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Well, Amarok 1.4.10 is not maintained anymore, and the same will be valid for the KDE 3.5 version you are using (KDE 3.5.x support from Ubuntu will end in November).

Since Amarok 2 needs kdelibs from KDE4 + some more dependencies like liblastfm, qtscriptgenerator, taglib 1.6 with ASK and MP4 enabled and taglib-extras 1.0.1, this would probably be quite a hassle to install on your system. I suggest you consider upgrading to Kubuntu 9.10 aka Karmic Koala that will be released on October 29th. It comes with Amarok 2.2 final, KDE 4.3.2 and all the necessary dependencies.

As for the panel changing in Amarok 1.4.x, I am sorry, but I haven't used Amarok 1.4.x since 2 years and can't really remember how it was.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
abuelopaul
Registered Member
OS

Re: Amarok 2 on Linux Mint 6 felicia

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 am
Thnkx for a prompt and accurate reply.