This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

WMA Lossless in Amarok?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
linux-slacker
Registered Member
OS

WMA Lossless in Amarok?

Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:09 am
I have seen conflicting reports about whether the latest Amarok supports WMA lossless playback. Right now, these files are not working on my version. If support for this format is possible, how do I enable it? Thank you for any assistance.

Tom
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: WMA Lossless in Amarok?

Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:49 am
You can play WMA files from the files manager, but you will not see those in the collection, since the collection needs id3 tags and WMA files do not support those.

We are working on a solution to read the file names instead to integrate WMA files into the collection.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:43 pm
Mamarok wrote:You can play WMA files from the files manager, but you will not see those in the collection, since the collection needs id3 tags and WMA files do not support those.

We are working on a solution to read the file names instead to integrate WMA files into the collection.

That's not actually correct, WMA does have metadata, and AFAIK we even support it. You might have confused it with WAV, which doesn't provide metadata.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:52 pm
oops, sorry, my bad :(

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
linux-slacker
Registered Member
OS

Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:54 pm
I can see the WMA files fine in my collection. The problem is that if I try to play one it zips right through it without playing anything. It keeps zipping through my collection until it runs across an MP3, then it starts playing.

Thanks for the replies.

Tom
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:46 am
linux-slacker wrote:I can see the WMA files fine in my collection. The problem is that if I try to play one it zips right through it without playing anything. It keeps zipping through my collection until it runs across an MP3, then it starts playing.

Well, that's a very different situation then. Your problem is simply a missing CODEC for actually playing the files.

Please check what Phonon backend you are using (possibly xine), and then Google for that plus your distro's name, plus WMA.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
linux-slacker
Registered Member
OS

Re: WMA Lossless in Amarok?  Topic is solved

Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:21 pm
This problem is now solved. I was running the 64-bit Slackware distribution and the Windows codecs are 32-bit. I switched to the 32-bit distribution and the codecs work now.

Tom
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:40 pm
ffmpeg is natively decoding wma. So there's no need for the windows codec package anymore.
Just use libxine with ffmpeg support, which should be standard.
You can check it by calling
Code: Select all
xine-list-1.1
and search for wma.

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.