This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Please Return Tabs to Amarok!

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
aapgorilla
Registered Member
OS

Re: Please Return Tabs to Amarok!

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:50 pm
You obviously didn't read the link, new coke was a lot sweeter and easier on the taste and the test panel much prefered it over the classic coke but in the real world new coke was too sweet and people stopped drinking it after a a few glasses whereas they would continue drinking classic

Talking about not being tested on real life variables is disrespectful (and not true at all, they test their software).

This has nothing to do with being disrespectful, it's a simple fact that any test set up tests the testing environment and subjects and those might be very different from the real world.
neverendingo
Administrator
OS

Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:56 pm
And again, which parts are missing then? You can't just state anything was not tested without telling what exactly.

Being it a theoretical sentence, i can agree. But you must have a reason to write it here, no?

New to KDE Software? - get help from Userbase or ask questions on the Forums
Communicate.
aapgorilla
Registered Member
OS

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:10 pm
Well I am just looking at it from a theoretical argument because that's the argument used as to why tabs were replaces by breadcrumbs.

There could be many reason why amarok2 just isn't as loved as the 1.4 series, they simple fact is that is isn't

My guess is that the design works for novices initially trying out amarok but quickly tires them and the old regulars but that's just my 2cents, they important message is that tests test nothing more than the testing subjects and environment.

But I think the most important point should be that even though new coke was superior in all laboratory tests the coke directory had the sense to switch back to classic again which was inferior in tests (tests designed to mimic the real world) but the real world liked.
google01103
Manager

Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:22 pm
@aapgorilla why don't you create a vote thread and see if your opinion is shared by others, though remember the dev's have the final say 'cause they're the dev's.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

drinkingcoffee
Registered Member

Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:04 pm
aapgorilla wrote:There could be many reason why amarok2 just isn't as loved as the 1.4 series, they simple fact is that is isn't

Maybe I'm not "oldskool" enough, but I prefer Amarok 2 (especially the last few releases) more than the 1.4 series. I didn't initially, as it was missing features and customization (and just 'because it was different'), but now I think it's better (and still improving).
aapgorilla wrote:But I think the most important point should be that even though new coke was superior in all laboratory tests the coke directory had the sense to switch back to classic again which was inferior in tests (tests designed to mimic the real world) but the real world liked.

My real world testing shows that I don't/didn't like classic OR new coke. They are both just coloured, caffeinated and carbonated sugar water. Good for stripping axle grease, that's about it.
Are you trying to say you'd rather be drinking a Tab?
annew
Manager
OS

Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:59 am
aapgorilla wrote:Well I am just looking at it from a theoretical argument because that's the argument used as to why tabs were replaces by breadcrumbs.

Do you intend ever giving us any concrete examples of your complaint? You keep talking about "real life variables missing". Please tell us what they are.

Frankly, we don't care about your opinions on coke - new or old. This has reached the stage of "put up or shut up" IMO.

annew, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct and a KDE user since 2002.
Join us on http://userbase.kde.org
Duplode
Registered Member

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:04 am
Back to the actual topic... while the new "breadcrumb" solution fits better with the rest of the UI layout than the tabs there is an usability issue in that the tiny icons above the left panel are way too easy to miss, particularly for people not used to KDE4 interface. I know for a fact that, despite having used Amarok 2 and KDE4 for a long while, I only found out how to open the dynamic playlist tool on the left panel by exploring the UI with random clicks...