This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2.1: No coverimages and ???? with artist

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
crystalball
Registered Member
OS
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
This bug was reported by me long time ago and is related to a wrong encodind detection. It's not solved yet, was targeted to 2.2.2, but there is a workaround created by Jeff Mitchell available in GIT. You can obtain more information here:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=200596

Ignacio Serantes, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Nov.
crystalball
Registered Member
OS
There could be a connection to my problem, but I think there are differences. I will write a comment at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=200596
tampakrap
Registered Member
OS
The Question marks problem is fixed in amarok-git, so 2.2.2 will include this fix (I'm also greek)

Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
crystalball wrote:There could be a connection to my problem, but I think there are differences. I will write a comment at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=200596
I read your and Jeff's comments and I'm agree with Jeff, in both cases is the same encoding detection bug. Jeff's workaround must be applied in other parts of Amarok's code.

Encoding detection fails when you are using only UTF-8 because detection algorithm thinks that certain words was not in UTF-8 and do a conversion when is unnecessary. This was the reason why Jeff's workaround works.

crystalball
Registered Member
OS
Any idea how long it takes, that the git-version will be available in KDE-4.3 or will be available in KDE-4.4 only?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The git version is the development branch, it will never be available as a package. You can build it yourself from source, there are several instructions available, I suggest the local installation, which is easy to remove if needed. You can get more information on how to build a local installation here:

http://blogs.fsfe.org/myriam/2009/09/co ... l-summary/

The next release, Amarok 2.2.2, is planned for January 3rd, with a beta preview on December 13th.

I run git currently here, and was able to reproduce the strange behavior of the 3 files you sent me, so I guess it is not really fixed in this case. Retaging those files helps, though.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
crystalball
Registered Member
OS
For some reasons, I want to use only packages from repositories, but you answered my question, I will have to wait for 1 month and hope that this problem is solved then.

Did you have problems with all 3 files? 1 file should be ok or is ok here.

Please make a comment at bugs.kde, that there is still something wrong.
crystalball
Registered Member
OS
I forgot to ask, what is with the embedded covers. Are they displayed in the git version?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
No, not implemented yet, and we are in feature freeze, so it's unlikely it will show up in 2.2.2.
You are aware that embedded covers blow up the file size, are you? Adding the cover to 12 files for 1 album is a bloat, especially if you do this for all your albums. But it's your disk space :) Normally, having cover.jpg in the album folder is enough and more economic. Most modern portable media players that display covers can handle that without problem.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
crystalball
Registered Member
OS
I would be happy if it would be implented ASAP.

I don't care about the space. I resize the image with a script (convert), about 20kB are not noticeable when the file itself is about 4MB. I have no other choice, because I have a lot cds, which cannot be found bei Amazon or are detected wrong. I think the best place to store a coverimage is _in_ the file. I have a simple script, which imports the coverimage automatically, I only have to scan the cover or get it from elsewhere, that's all.

I will answer your PM ASAP. FYI now, the charset-problem exists without a coverimage too.
Ignacio Serantes
Registered Member
OS
crystalball wrote:I would be happy if it would be implented ASAP.

I don't care about the space. I resize the image with a script (convert), about 20kB are not noticeable when the file itself is about 4MB. I have no other choice, because I have a lot cds, which cannot be found bei Amazon or are detected wrong. I think the best place to store a coverimage is _in_ the file. I have a simple script, which imports the coverimage automatically, I only have to scan the cover or get it from elsewhere, that's all.

I will answer your PM ASAP. FYI now, the charset-problem exists without a coverimage too.
I have the same problem so I put the cover in album directory and Amarok detects it an uses automatically or, I can manually select it. Works fine and there is no reason to add the mini cover to all files.

In my case, I like my tags was clean because Amarok many times crash if ID3 tag have pictures, lyrics or bizarre encodings so I edit all my new files, clean, and change to UTF-8 encoding using Kid3 before add to Amarok library.

crystalball
Registered Member
OS
I never had problems with embedded covers and Amarok 1.4. I need / want the embedded covers. Sometimes I play my mp3s via an streaming client, which is connected to the TV and then the cover is shown on TV. Same thing with an Ipod. Perosnally I don't like it, if the covers are outside of the mp3-file, because I cannot listen always with Amarok and a pc.

I hope this feature is included soon in Amarok 2.

Of course it depends, but I don't understand why 20kB should be a size problem, if the mp3 has e.g 3MB or more. The important thing is, that the covers are resized, before they are imported into the mp3-file. This can be done with a simple bash script. It is more an organizational problem to keep it simple.