This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok - how can I auto advance to next title?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
richlion
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

I am using Amarok 2.2 on Sabayon/Gentto.

I have two isues.

1. Amarok sometimes has problems reading radio streams, when the stream becomes unavailable (probably because the link changes, or something...) Amarok crashes. The good thing is that this is nicely handled by a popup message. I can restart,close, etc. Nice. Would it not be nicer simply to advance to the next title? Maybe an option in the popup message, so that the next time the radio station is gone Amarok simply goes to my next playlist?

2. When I copied 20 files into the playlist pane Amarok would advance to each track. Now it doesn't, I don't know whether I've done something. In the configuration I see and option General -> Playlist Option - I set it to "Automatically scroll playlist to current track". At the bottom of the right panel there used to be an icon to set autoadvancing (don't know how to call it) to next track, now it's gone. So when I start to play the 20 songs playback stops on the first one I click and I have click on the next song. This is driving me crazy...
Can someone lead me to what has happended?

Rehards,
Richard

*** Sabyon user since 2006 ***
Sabayon Linux amd64 13.03 - x86_64 Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU T4200 @ 2.00GHz
KDE 4.10.1 - on Acer Aspire 7730 zg 17" with Nvidia Geforce 9300M GS
markey
KDE Developer
OS
richlion wrote:2. When I copied 20 files into the playlist pane Amarok would advance to each track. Now it doesn't, I don't know whether I've done something. In the configuration I see and option General -> Playlist Option - I set it to "Automatically scroll playlist to current track". At the bottom of the right panel there used to be an icon to set autoadvancing (don't know how to call it) to next track, now it's gone. So when I start to play the 20 songs playback stops on the first one I click and I have click on the next song. This is driving me crazy...
Can someone lead me to what has happended?

Erm. What you're seeing there isn't some weird kind of option, it's simply a bug in the Phonon-GStreamer backend (likely). Use Phonon-Xine instead.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
richlion
Registered Member
OS
Hi,
thanks, I know Amarok uses Phenon, that's what I learned on this forum. But I had an argument with Gentoo/Sabayon guys, why they are telling me to use Pulse-Audio. They say KDE comes with PulseAudio.
So I don't have Phenon installed, but have PulseAudio and HDA Nvidia (ALC887 Analog) options.
It looks like Gentoo and Sabayon are ignoring my calls to revert to what Amarok and KDE supports.
So am I completely stuck with this useless struggle? It looks like KDE and Amarok teams are pointing their fingers at Linux distros, and Linux distros are pointing to KDE and Amarok teams.

Very frustrating, don't you think?

Regards,
Richard.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Sorry, but that is pure rubbish, KDE does definitely not come with Pulseaudio. It's rather the distributions who think they are smarter than us and have to force that down our throat.

KDE works perfectly fine without the need of Pulseaudio, and if you want network sound, there are other means.

Until KDE 4.4 there is absolutely and definitely no need of Pulseaudio in KDE. Also, if the packagers in all distributions would actually read the requirements for KDE, they would all know that already.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
richlion
Registered Member
OS
I know, so I keep posting on Gentoo/Sabayon why do I have to use Pulseaudio, which is totally rubish at the moment.

My recent posts there:
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-60 ... ml#6069554
http://forum.sabayonlinux.org/viewtopic ... 57&t=18430

I also don't want to know what's "network sound". I just want my sound system to work.

Regards,
Richard