This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Various Artists album problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
lesath
Registered Member
OS

Various Artists album problem  Topic is solved

Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:11 pm
Using Amarok 2.1.1, any album with more than one artist gets shown multiple times, once for each track on it, even if I click "show under Various Artists" (then it just shows up a bunch of times under Various Artists). There is one instance per track, BUT every individual instance, when clicked on, shows all tracks on the album (as long as I've clicked "Show under Various" for all of them). Is this a problem with my tags? What can I do?

"Show under Various Artists" should be available for multiple selections, by the way :)
armandhr
Registered Member
OS

Re: Various Artists album problem

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:42 am
lesath wrote:Using Amarok 2.1.1, any album with more than one artist gets shown multiple times, once for each track on it, even if I click "show under Various Artists" (then it just shows up a bunch of times under Various Artists). There is one instance per track, BUT every individual instance, when clicked on, shows all tracks on the album (as long as I've clicked "Show under Various" for all of them). Is this a problem with my tags? What can I do?
I used to have this problem, but I found that it resolved itself as long as I made sure that every album was placed in its own folder and didn't mix all the tracks together (this includes albums that are split into "Disc 1", "Disc 2", etc.; make sure each one has a separate folder). Then you can rescan your collection and restart Amarok (at one point for me things got so messed up I had to delete Amarok's MySQL database and start over, but hopefully you won't have to go that far). One more comment: if you're using 2.1.1, you might want to consider upgrading to the latest release (2.2 or 2.2.1); they seem to have fixed several bugs I used to have problems with.

I hope that helps; if not, I'm sure there are others around who know more about this than I do.
lesath
Registered Member
OS

Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:38 pm
One more comment: if you're using 2.1.1, you might want to consider upgrading to the latest release (2.2 or 2.2.1); they seem to have fixed several bugs I used to have problems with.

Whoops. I meant to say 2.2.1. That was a typo.

armandhr wrote:I used to have this problem, but I found that it resolved itself as long as I made sure that every album was placed in its own folder and didn't mix all the tracks together (this includes albums that are split into "Disc 1", "Disc 2", etc.; make sure each one has a separate folder).

I'm pretty sure it already is like this. My music collection is fairly organized. The hierarchy is like /Music/Various Artists/AlbumName then all the tracks in that album.

Then you can rescan your collection and restart Amarok (at one point for me things got so messed up I had to delete Amarok's MySQL database and start over, but hopefully you won't have to go that far).

The same thing happened to me while I was trying to fix it. >_o

I hope that helps; if not, I'm sure there are others around who know more about this than I do.

Thanks for responding, at least. I'll give my folder hierarchy a look.
armandhr
Registered Member
OS

Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:10 am
lesath wrote:Whoops. I meant to say 2.2.1. That was a typo.
Yeah, I was wondering if that's what happened, but thought I'd mention it just in case. :)

lesath wrote:I'm pretty sure it already is like this. My music collection is fairly organized. The hierarchy is like /Music/Various Artists/AlbumName then all the tracks in that album.
Well, if all of your albums are well-separated, is there anything else that could be confusing Amarok as to which tracks belong to the same album? I mean, I don't know exactly what Amarok looks for to decide this (maybe someone else here does), but have you checked (using something like EasyTag, TagTool, etc.) that all of the tracks that belong together have the same Album Artist, Album Title, Composer, etc. tags set to the same value?

Also, does this happen with all of your various artist albums? Or are some of them categorized correctly as only one album, while others get split into duplicates? If that is the case, you might want to look at what the difference is between those albums, and why Amarok is choking on some of them.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. You could also take a look at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=172953 and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/amarok/+bug/319494 which seem to describe this issue (if you haven't already) to see if you can figure something out. Many of those people used the same workaround I did (making sure each album is sorted into its own folder), but maybe you'll find something else that's useful.
lesath
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:27 pm
Just an update to this: the problem was twofold. Although I was correct in saying that all my albums were in one folder, there were a couple of instances where duplicate tracks wound up in a different folder, which caused the albums to display multiple times. Additionally, some of the albums (due to, in fact, being fanmixes made from slapped-together mp3s) had erratic track numbers, which also seemed to confuse the system. After correcting both of these problems, the albums displayed correctly.