This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok and audio CDs

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
broadstairs
Registered Member
OS

Amarok and audio CDs

Sun Nov 29, 2009 10:57 am
I read elsewhere that currently Amarok V2 cannot play audio cds. Can someone please confirm if this capability will be added/replaced in Amarok in the near future, and if so hopefully an idea of when it might happen? I currently have 2.2.0 on Mandriva 2010.0.

Stuart
markey
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Amarok and audio CDs

Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:48 pm
broadstairs wrote:I read elsewhere that currently Amarok V2 cannot play audio cds. Can someone please confirm if this capability will be added/replaced in Amarok in the near future, and if so hopefully an idea of when it might happen? I currently have 2.2.0 on Mandriva 2010.0.

This is simply wrong information.

Since version 2.2.0, Amarok can play CDs. In version 2.2.1 the feature was improved again, so I recommend using 2.2.1.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
broadstairs
Registered Member
OS

Sun Nov 29, 2009 1:36 pm
Thanks for the correction. I have 2.2.0 on Mandriva 2010.0 and no matter what I do it simply refuses to play audio CDs. They play fine using other apps but not in Amarok. Other things like MP3s play fine in Amarok so its not a sound problem.

If I try to play media it opens a file windows and I can select the audio volume and I've tried selecting just one track but when I click on open nothing happens. I know from the Mandriva forum I'm not the only one having this problem. Have you any suggestions as to how I can approach debugging this please?

Stuart

EDIT: please ignore that as I now have it working, I hope others on Mandriva will as well. It was not obvious (at least to me as a new user) how to get the GUI to show all available devices, when I did I could see and select my Audio CD.
cookdav
Registered Member

Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:15 pm
I'm having same problem...with Amarok 2.2.1, when I insert a music-CD,
it shows up in the LEFT-side panel, and you can navigate around and see
and select (hi-lite) any specific track.

So, you'd THINK you could then PLAY that track, but no way.

The issue is that the UI to PLAY tracks is non-intuitive! I
think that I must (SOMEHOW) get Amarok to abandon the current-playlist
(which is pointed at some portion of my already-existing collection)
and coerce Amarok 2.2.1 to use the inserted-CD to BE the playlist.

So, why doesn't it just do that AUTOMATICALLY?

sigh. EDIT: Finally figured out, that manual-manip-solution is to
right-click on album and choose'replace playlist',
and then you can PLAY tracks (from the playlist-UI on RIGHT-side).

EDIT: Plan-B: I tried this: Shutdown Amarok 2.2.1, insert a
new music-CD, while running KDE-4.3.2, and one of the popup choices for
the event (of detecting insertion of the CD) is to 'play it with Amarok',
and when I tell it to do that, nothing happens. (i.e. Amarok never
launches and does NOT appear in the system-tray, as it does when
I launch it manually from KDE4's start-menu.)
Ahmad Samir
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:57 am
The Amarok solid action (the one in the device notifier) doesn't work yet https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=209204
(that action has been excluded, for now, from the Mandriva rpm package).
mhl
Registered Member
OS

Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:04 pm
Hi,

I cannot use audio cds either. Bug report - answer: Amarok 2.2-git is it! this does not make me happy. How can it happen, that a media player is unable to play audio cds? This is a basic function, so a patch or workaround should be highly priorized!

Regards, Martin

PS: Thanks to the Amarok developers for their work, but this is really disappointing!

Current System (2011-01-06):

Linux ... 2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 02:41:37 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

KDE 4.5.1

Two Intel Unknown 800MHz processors, 8777.70 total bogomips, 3013M RAM
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:47 am
mhl: how about a bit of patience? I use Kubuntu 9.10 (which is based on Debian Sid, just for the record) and Amarok 2.2-git, but I can play CDs since Amarok 2.2.1 without any problems.
If it doesn't work in that version, then please talk to your distribution, since this is likely a packaging issue then. And please remember: this is Free Software, the developers work on this mostly unpayed and in their spare time.
Also, Audio CDs are the past, nobody buys CDs these days anymore since you can buy it online, and ripping a complete CD to a harddisk takes not more time than to play a track. Almost all my CDs are stored in my harddisk, I have still about 10-12 to rip, but then I will likely never ever play a CD again with Amarok and only keep the CDs as a backup. The same is valid for most people I know who use a computer today. Storage is cheap :)

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mhl
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:16 am
Hi,
Mamarok wrote:mhl: how about a bit of patience? I use Kubuntu 9.10 (which is based on Debian Sid, just for the record) and Amarok 2.2-git, but I can play CDs since Amarok 2.2.1 without any problems.
If it doesn't work in that version, then please talk to your distribution, since this is likely a packaging issue then.

I just poited out this to show that there are some more users that do have this problem.

Mamarok wrote:And please remember: this is Free Software, the developers work on this mostly unpayed and in their spare time.

Really? Same situation out here. Most of us users use and promote OSS voluntarily. ;)

Mamarok wrote:Also, Audio CDs are the past, nobody buys CDs these days anymore

you like joking, do you?

Mamarok wrote:since you can buy it online, and ripping a complete CD to a harddisk takes not more time than to play a track. Almost all my CDs are stored in my harddisk, I have still about 10-12 to rip, but then I will likely never ever play a CD again with Amarok and only keep the CDs as a backup. The same is valid for most people I know who use a computer today. Storage is cheap :)

Hmmh, what do you think that I do? ;)

But there are two side effects:

1. There are still some CDs to be ripped. (By the way some more audio tapes and some of these old black disks - you know, these mechanical ones...)

2. Amarok/Phono has a serious bug on playing flac files!

Regards, Martin

Linux ... 2.6.35-24-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 2 02:41:37 UTC 2010 x86_64 GNU/Linux

KDE 4.5.1

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:03 am
Note that in many cases, failure to play or problems with playback are the fault of the backend or other subsystems ( such as Pulseaudio ) rather than Amarok or Phonon

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
mhl
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:11 pm
bcooksley wrote:Pulseaudio

I never heard of this!

KDE 4.5.1

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:44 pm
Pulseaudio on my system ( well in openSUSE 11.1 anyway ) made playback laggy, and made it sound like it was underwater.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:20 pm
Also, please report Phonon bugs to Phonon or in the appropriate forum section, it's not really useful to report it here. Flac playing problems is certainly not Amarok related, but is most likely a Phonon bug.
Since there are several, you have the choice on which of the already reported ones is similar to the one you are talking about: http://tinyurl.com/phononbugs

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...