This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Cannot Find Media Device Settings

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
geekworking
Registered Member
OS

Cannot Find Media Device Settings

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:09 am
I want to use a generic media player (shows up as a flash drive). In searching the forums there are mentions that there should be some settings for media devices where I can add a generic device.

I cannot find any Media Device screens under any of the settings windows. Running 2.2.0 from Kubuntu Karmic. How do you get the options for Media Devices to Appear?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Because there is no such thing as "Media Device settings".
Mount your device, it will show up in the "Local Music" section. That's all.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
newbi462
Registered Member

Re: Cannot Find Media Device Settings

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:16 pm
geekworking

let me know if you ever figuer out how to do this Amarok 1 feature in Amarok 2.

the removal of this feature had made using all my devices with Amarok impossible. I am glad they added more devices but they will never have them all so with out this feature it ither recanises it should use your device or you are SOL.

This a feature that desperately needs to be returned to Amarok. As with out it a whole mess of devices like most Android Phones or generic usb mp3 player will no longer work at all.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Re: Cannot Find Media Device Settings

Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:26 pm
On the contrary, most devices work without a hitch. If you are having a specific problem, why not tell us so we can help you?

For starters, run Amarok from the console:

Code: Select all
amarok -d --nofork

and notice what output you get when you plug in your device.

Valorie
Mamarok
Manager
OS
newbi462 wrote:This a feature that desperately needs to be returned to Amarok. As with out it a whole mess of devices like most Android Phones or generic usb mp3 player will no longer work at all.

If your Media Player is mountable it will show up in the Local Music pane. This is not an Amarok problem, but depends entirely on SOLID which handles the hardware you plug in. The media device option from Amarok 1.x was not removed, as Amarok 2.x is a complete rewrite, but it's simply not needed anymore.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
dspathis
Registered Member
Hi,

I can't get my iPod Touch to work with Amarok (version 2.1.1). I'm running it on openSUSE 11.2.
It doesn't show up anywhere.

Launching Amarok from the console with the command "amarok -d --nofork", here's the output I get when I connect my iPod:

amarok: BEGIN: void MediaDeviceCache::slotAddSolidDevice(const QString&)
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] Found new Solid device with udi = "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_5ac_1291_6f10f3048398b84bd9cb49643f84158bcbd9927b"
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] Device name is = "iPod Touch 1.Gen" and was made by "Apple, Inc."
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] udi "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_5ac_1291_6f10f3048398b84bd9cb49643f84158bcbd9927b" does not describe a portable media player or storage volume
amarok: END__: void MediaDeviceCache::slotAddSolidDevice(const QString&) - Took 0.48s
amarok: BEGIN: void MountPointManager::deviceAdded(const QString&)
amarok: END__: void MountPointManager::deviceAdded(const QString&) - Took 0.0023s
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] Found new Solid device with udi = "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_5ac_1291_6f10f3048398b84bd9cb49643f84158bcbd9927b_if1"
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] Device name is = "USB Vendor Specific Interface" and was made by ""
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] udi "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_5ac_1291_6f10f3048398b84bd9cb49643f84158bcbd9927b_if1" does not describe a portable media player or storage volume
amarok: END__: void MediaDeviceCache::slotAddSolidDevice(const QString&) - Took 0.087s
amarok: END__: void MountPointManager::deviceAdded(const QString&) - Took 0.0013s
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] Found new Solid device with udi = "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_ffffffff_ffffffff_noserial"
virtual QVariant Solid::Backends::Hal::HalDevice::property(const QString&) const error: "org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchDevice" , ""

virtual QVariant Solid::Backends::Hal::HalDevice::property(const QString&) const error: "org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchDevice" , ""

amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] Device name is = "" and was made by ""

virtual bool Solid::Backends::Hal::HalDevice::queryDeviceInterface(const Solid::DeviceInterface::Type&) const error: "org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchDevice"

virtual bool Solid::Backends::Hal::HalDevice::queryDeviceInterface(const Solid::DeviceInterface::Type&) const error: "org.freedesktop.Hal.NoSuchDevice"

amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] udi "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_ffffffff_ffffffff_noserial" does not describe a portable media player or storage volume
amarok: END__: void MediaDeviceCache::slotAddSolidDevice(const QString&) - Took 0.0089s
amarok: END__: void MountPointManager::deviceAdded(const QString&) - Took 0.0017s

amarok: BEGIN: void MediaDeviceCache::slotRemoveSolidDevice(const QString&)
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] udi is: "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_ffffffff_ffffffff_noserial"
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] Odd, got a deviceRemoved at udi "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_ffffffff_ffffffff_noserial" but it did not seem to exist in the first place...
amarok: BEGIN: void MediaDeviceMonitor::slotDeviceRemoved(const QString&)
amarok: BEGIN: void MtpCollectionFactory::deviceRemoved(const QString&)
amarok: [MtpCollection] [WARNING!] removing non-existent device
amarok: END__: void MtpCollectionFactory::deviceRemoved(const QString&) - Took 0.00012s
amarok: BEGIN: void IpodCollectionFactory::deviceRemoved(const QString&)
amarok: [IpodCollection] [WARNING!] removing non-existent device
amarok: END__: void IpodCollectionFactory::deviceRemoved(const QString&) - Took 0.00011s
amarok: END__: void MediaDeviceMonitor::slotDeviceRemoved(const QString&) - Took 0.00046s
amarok: END__: void MediaDeviceCache::slotRemoveSolidDevice(const QString&) - Took 0.016s
amarok: BEGIN: void MountPointManager::deviceRemoved(const QString&)
amarok: END__: void MountPointManager::deviceRemoved(const QString&) - Took 7.2e-05s
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] Found new Solid device with udi = "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_5ac_1291_6f10f3048398b84bd9cb49643f84158bcbd9927b_if0"
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] Device name is = "USB Imaging Interface" and was made by ""
amarok: [MediaDeviceCache] udi "/org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/usb_device_5ac_1291_6f10f3048398b84bd9cb49643f84158bcbd9927b_if0" does not describe a portable media player or storage volume
amarok: END__: void MediaDeviceCache::slotAddSolidDevice(const QString&) - Took 0.023s
amarok: END__: void MountPointManager::deviceAdded(const QString&) - Took 0.0013s
Mamarok
Manager
OS
You should consider an upgrade to Amarok 2.3.0, your 2.1.1 version is very old and totally outdated. As for the iPod Touch, there is an instruction you can follow here: http://wp.me/pKriD-9

dspathis
Registered Member
Mamarok,

Ok - I was able to mount my iPod Touch using ifuse.

I upgraded to Amarok 2.3.0. When I configure Amarok to scan my iPod Touch mount point for music, I can see everything and play it. So far so good.

Is it possible to sync my music collection with my iPod, using Amarok? I can't figure out how... I can't find anyting on the user interface related to syncing. Do I need to install a plugin for the iPod to get that functionality?
Stecchino
KDE Developer
Amarok finds devices based on HAL (though Solid) information. If you have to mount it manually I'm sure it's not discovered that way.
All i can say is it's not something we support, not sure we even *can* support it.

Copying tracks to iPod is possible once it's detected and listed by amarok as an iPod.
saywot
Registered Member
Mamarok wrote:You should consider an upgrade to Amarok 2.3.0, your 2.1.1 version is very old and totally outdated. As for the iPod Touch, there is an instruction you can follow here: http://wp.me/pKriD-9

I am using 2.3.0 and my Samsung player doesn't appear in "Local Music"

this is a pity because in previous versions it seemed fine