This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok and Samba directories

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jirik
Registered Member
OS

Amarok and Samba directories

Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:22 am
Hello,

first of all, let me thank you for this wonderful music organizer.

I do have one problem with current implementation of access to Samba shares. My Samba server is running on old 2.4 kernel and as such I cannot mount any share using smbmount. Therefore I can access music only through the recently implemented support for smb kio slave. The problem however is that I cannot add an entire directory, I have to add individual files (if I add directory, it won't populate the playlist with files from that directory). Was it made this way on purpose?

Another nice thing would be to get tags over smb kio, missing them too.

Thanks for answers

Jirik
markey
KDE Developer
OS
jirik wrote:I do have one problem with current implementation of access to Samba shares. My Samba server is running on old 2.4 kernel and as such I cannot mount any share using smbmount. Therefore I can access music only through the recently implemented support for smb kio slave. The problem however is that I cannot add an entire directory, I have to add individual files (if I add directory, it won't populate the playlist with files from that directory). Was it made this way on purpose?

Another nice thing would be to get tags over smb kio, missing them too.

The answer is simple, and consists of two parts:

1) TagLib (which we use for scanning tags) only supports local files. So you should mount it somehow, it's better in many ways.

2) Samba sucks. Use NFS instead, then you will also be able to mount it.

:)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
jirik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Amarok and Samba directories

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:46 am
I see, thanks for the answer.
jirik
Registered Member
OS

Re: Amarok and Samba directories

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:09 pm
If anyone is interested, I have solved it by using smbnetfs. http://sourceforge.net/projects/smbnetfs/