This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Any way to make playlists based on multiple bias settings?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
rebuilder
Registered Member
Hi,

I'm trying to find software to do a specific type of playlist generation, and Amarok seems pretty close to being able to do what I want. Basically I'd like the ability to place music tracks on any number of custom scales - "bright - dark" , "fast - slow", "electronic - acoustic" etc. and have sliders or other widgets to control the upcoming songs in the playlist. So if I'm playing something and I think I'd like to move things into a brighter, more electronic, faster direction, I'd nudge the relevant sliders and the playlist would update based on the new criteria set. Some matching thresholds would be needed as well, and a bunch of other stuff would be nice, but that's the basic idea. Is there any way to hack the dynamic playlists in Amarok to do what I want?

Right now, as far as I can tell, I can look for phrases in tag fields and have a certain proportion of the playlist contain those phrases, but that's a binary match - something either is "electronic" or is not. Also I think it only matches the whole field; I could input all this data in the comment field, say in the format "fast8, acoustic2, bright9" to describe a song that is fairly fast, quite acoustic, and very bright, but then trying to create a rule to match for "acoustic2" doesn't appear to find a song thus tagged. And such an approach is too rough anyway, really I'd want to be able to easily define a dropoff range for the tolerance of each property.

Anyway, if someone has ideas on how to use Amarok for this, or even how to do it some other way, I'd much appreciate any help.