This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Adjacent Context Plugins?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
EdgarStein
Registered Member
OS

Adjacent Context Plugins?

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:49 pm
Hello everyone,

I was just playing around with the possibilities of rearranging the general layout. If I'm not mistaken, the Context Viewer was designed to be displaying its plugins as a kind of top-to-bottom list.
But what if I would like to have the plugins be displayed as a horizontal list, so to say adjacent to each other? No can do, or perhaps I'm just too stupid.

I mean, come to think of it: The Context Viewer displaying both the current track info and related videos in one, slim and compact top bar. How (I'm not allowed to say "yxes" in reverse??) would THAT be? :-)

Greets,
Edgar
lfranchi
KDE Developer

Re: Adjacent Context Plugins?

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:52 pm
Not possible currently, sorry. Not hard to add, someone just needs to write a new layout manager. But impossible atm.

Amarok developer.

lfranchi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:54 pm
You can resize the panels, place them elsewhere, etc. Up to you where you put the various GUI elements. Next to each other is not possible for the moment, make a suggestion to the wishlist on http://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=amarok for that, please.
This needs at least Amarok 2.2.1, of course. Right click on the menu bar on top and unlock the elements to move them around.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
lfranchi
KDE Developer

Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:07 am
I believe edgarstein was talking about the layout of applets in the context view, not the layout of the dockwidgets in the general interface. edgar: the only layout for applets is the vertical flowing layout that we have now, unless someone writes another layout (not very hard).

leo

Amarok developer.

lfranchi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
EdgarStein
Registered Member
OS

Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:15 am
I did as Mamarok suggested: new entry in the wishlist.
(https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=219260)
To sum it up: Christmas is right around the corner... ;-)

Yet I'd love to hear what other users think about it. IMHO the Context Viewer is a potentially powerful piece of equipment. Arranging it at the top could possibly even convince those die-hard Amarok-1.4-playlist-style lovers, as no horizontal space would be allocated by the Context Viewer.