This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

I'm switching

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
XB-70
Registered Member
OS

I'm switching

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:40 pm
I know how hard everyone on this project has worked and I very much appreciate what is involved in building software. With that said, the current state of Amarok is that it is unusable. I've installed OpenSuSE 11.2 on two different, very 'stock' machines and everything pretty much 'just works' - with one major exception. Of all the software that I've worked with, the only once that has not been solvable is Amarok. Amarok was one of my favourite apps. I say was, because I am switching. I'm sorry, but I've just given up. The new version is just not functional. I've worked with many Linux distros for years and I've never encountered issues like I have with Amarok. At the core of it, I simply can't get it to play an OGG or MP3. That should not be rocket science - it should be the default behaviour. Please just revert to the previous version and tweak it. :(
BelaLugosi
Alumni
OS

Re: I'm switching

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:44 pm
If you only would specify your problems a little bit, maybe someone can help you out. To me amarok2 is one hell of an musicplayer and i don't miss anything back from 1.4...

i don't have hard drives. i just keep 30 chinese teenagers in my basement and force them to memorize numbers (bash.org)
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:02 pm
I thought, I could keep my mouth shut, but always the same blabla causes me to return.

So you're using the version delivered with openSUSE 11.2?
You're using an outdated and crippled version of amarok2.
Please do all here a favour and inform yourself before posting such a ****.
You don't post anything helpful in your post.
Most issues I've seen in this and the former amarok forum are caused by faulty packages provided by the distributors.
And no, I'm neither a big fan nor a developer of this software.

Regards
m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
lfranchi
KDE Developer

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:15 pm
If only you know how much we amarok developers hate the mp3/legal issues mess. If distros were legally able to distribute binaries that could play mp3s out of the box (putting aside gstreamer) it would make EVERYONEs life so much easier.

the problem is that when amarok can't play music, people blame amarok. 95% of the time, either the phonon backend (gst or xine), phonon, or something else that you can't see that is not working. so i apologize if your system is **** up.

Amarok developer.

lfranchi, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:50 pm
Back to the original problem -- can you run Amarok from the console:

amarok -d --nofork

and report what happens when you try to play oggs and mp3s?

Have you tried to download and build a *current* version of Amarok? If your distro won't package for you, you might have to do this on your own.

We are here to help.

Valorie
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:33 pm
@XB-70: Please add the Packman repository, and install the needed Xine components ( libxine1, libxine1-codecs, phonon-backend-xine ) from there. Remove libxine1-pulse.

Code: Select all
su -
zypper ar http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.2 Packman
zypper ref
zypper install libxine1 libxine1-codecs phonon-backend-xine
zypper remove libxine1-pulse

Note that the installation step will likely wish to update applications which use Xine to the Packman versions. To ensure maximum compatibility, please allow this.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
fbt
Registered Member
OS

Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:40 pm
XB-70 made one post comlaining one program is not working so his whole system is $%&# All I can say is good luck with what ever you are switching to.
nka
Registered Member
OS

Re: I'm switching  Topic is solved

Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:40 pm
bcooksley wrote:su -
zypper ar http://ftp.skynet.be/pub/packman/suse/11.2 Packman
zypper ref
zypper install libxine1 libxine1-codecs phonon-backend-xine
zypper remove libxine1-pulse

I'm having trouble playing .wav and .mp3

I'm using Amarok 2.2.2 and Ubuntu Karmic. How do I apply your above instructions to Ubuntu? Thanks.

Solvedfollowing these instructions: http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Download:Kubuntu and http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/MP3_on_Kubuntu I installed mp3 support, the Ubuntu restricted package, and Xine.

Should I also install GStreamer?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:09 pm
No, if you have xine you don't need gstreamer.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:42 am
@nka: My instructions were SUSE specific

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS

Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:23 pm
Thank you, bcooksley. This was just one of these answers I've criticised somewhere in this forum.
Your answer is as useless as cancer. Either give useful hints or... well you know.
And this is a global instruction;-)

Regards
m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.