This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Genre stored as number and not as Text

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
macro
Registered Member
Hello everyone

I am using Amarok for quite a while now and I have a well organized collection of my CDs as MP3. Now we have a NAS which offers a iTunes Share Service and since my parents use a MAC and itunes I copied my collection to the NAS as well (also it is an additional backup for myself).

Well, now I founf out that Amarok stored the Genres I applied to the songs as numbers instead of Text which is a big problem for me now. Is there a way that I can configure Amarok not to do this and can I somehow force amarok to rewrite the text instead of the numbers?
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
As far as I know, genres are stored as numbers in ID3v1 tags. But this is obsolete now, except you have only ID3v1 tags. So generally amarok is right and iTunes ähm...well..tja.
Could you check, if your tracks have id3v2.x. And please use an external tagger instead of amarok for mass tagging.

Regards
m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
macro
Registered Member
I will check that, but does that mean that these number that amarok stores in the tags are standardised? Then I am fine with that.

Can you recommend any tool for mass tagging? I used Amarok because I only have to tag some albums at a time and it worked fine (except the unexpected results that I have now).

By the way: I dont like iTunes either but it would be nice to have a feature to access iTunes shares via Amarok as well (the point is that NAS storages support iTunes if any)
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Yes, those numbers are part of id3v1.
My personal choice is easytag since ages. It's a GTK app, but I prefer it over kid3. There are much more out there. Try them, you'll find one, that fits.
I can remember, I had those issues, too. But I can't remember the application.
WinAmp is the player I use, when on windoze. Don't have a Mac, so...

Regards
m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.