This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Syncing Media Player

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Max
Registered Member
OS

Syncing Media Player

Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:53 pm
I am using 2.2.2 and a Sansa Clip device.
When I plug in the device Amarok recognizes it and it shows up under Local Music. And I can copy music over to it simply with the right click action.
That's fine.
However, the Clip comes with various subfolders, including Music, Audiobooks, Podcasts and others.
When I just copy music over, it all ends up in the Music folder. How can I get audiobooks to land in the Audiobook folder?
Also, how can I sync my podcasts with my Clip? (There is no option in the right click menu from the Podcasts).

Cogito ergo surf
I think therefore I network.

Registered Linux user #481826 Get counted!
Bausparfuchs
Registered Member
OS

Re: Syncing Media Player

Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:29 pm
Hi, I just can make a guess. These features are not yet implemented for IPODs and I assume that it's the same for other media devices.

Stecchino
KDE Developer

Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:19 pm
Without knowing how sansa implemented MTP I can not say. It's possible they use an MTP-playlist (though that should show up in Media Sources > Saved Playlists) or they determine where to put it based on the id3 genre tag.

For my Nokia 5800 xpressmusic that last possibility is the case. It's not documented anywhere, I discovered it by accident.
Max
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:32 am
The Clip has a feature where you can select the protocol to be used, whether MTP or MSC.
Very early on (first time I plugged it in) I noticed that Linux wasn't reading it in MTP, so I set it for MSC.
Now it reads simply as a standard USB flash drive.
Interestingly enough, the music transfer via Amarok drops the files in the Music folder, and not the device's root. Probably has to do with some config file on the device itself.

Cogito ergo surf

markey
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:35 am
Max wrote:The Clip has a feature where you can select the protocol to be used, whether MTP or MSC.
Very early on (first time I plugged it in) I noticed that Linux wasn't reading it in MTP, so I set it for MSC.
Now it reads simply as a standard USB flash drive.
Interestingly enough, the music transfer via Amarok drops the files in the Music folder, and not the device's root. Probably has to do with some config file on the device itself.

I have the Clip too (great device), and I'd recommend using it in MTP mode, but with the latest LibMTP (1.0.1).

With that version it works quite nicely.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Max
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:37 am
markey wrote:I have the Clip too (great device), and I'd recommend using it in MTP mode, but with the latest LibMTP (1.0.1).

What works quite nicely? Syncing playlists? Deciding where to drop the files?

Cogito ergo surf

markey
KDE Developer
OS

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:45 am
Max wrote:
markey wrote:I have the Clip too (great device), and I'd recommend using it in MTP mode, but with the latest LibMTP (1.0.1).

What works quite nicely? Syncing playlists? Deciding where to drop the files?

Hmm, I've never used any playlist features of the Clip. But copying tracks to it from within Amarok, and even listening to tracks straight from the device, that works fine here.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
Max
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:47 am
Actually, I see now that my player is set to "Auto-detect", I guess that happened when I upgraded the firmware to support ogg files.
I ran a simple test, and it is using MTP mode. Under MSC mode Amarok doesn't recognize any of the files (and neither does Dolphin) at least the files that were added in MTP mode. (That makes sense).

Anyway, I still can't sync playlists or put the files where I want (not to mention podcasts, but that is (hopefully) being developed).

Cogito ergo surf

Stecchino
KDE Developer

Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:21 pm
If your player is in USB mass storage mode you can decide where the files are stored.

create a file on the root of the device (ex. /media/disk) name .is_audio_player (the dot means it's a hidden file).
Contents:
music_folder=<where you want to store tracks>

When you use copy/move to collection music_folder is used as the collection root. So if you want to store it in /media/disk/audiobooks for instance use

music_folder=/
file naming scheme: /audiobooks/%artist/%title.%extension
Max
Registered Member
OS

Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:20 am
In case anybody is reading this thread in the hopes of learning something useful about syncing media devices and playlists, I started writing a script that would do that, but I got stuck.
Link.

Cogito ergo surf

GeoBaltz
Registered Member
OS

Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:25 pm
Stecchino wrote:If your player is in USB mass storage mode you can decide where the files are stored.

create a file on the root of the device (ex. /media/disk) name .is_audio_player (the dot means it's a hidden file).
Contents:

When you use copy/move to collection music_folder is used as the collection root. So if you want to store it in /media/disk/audiobooks for instance use

music_folder=/

Actually, that should read "audio_folder=<where you want to store tracks>", although some other programs (Banshee?) look for "audio_folders=...". 2.3beta adds "podcast_folder=<wherever>", so the file/syntax is a work in progress.
Stecchino
KDE Developer

Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:08 am
GeoBaltz wrote:
Stecchino wrote:If your player is in USB mass storage mode you can decide where the files are stored.

Contents:

music_folder=/

Actually, that should read "audio_folder=<where you want to store tracks>", although some other programs (Banshee?) look for "audio_folders=...". 2.3beta adds "podcast_folder=<wherever>", so the file/syntax is a work in progress.

Yup, that is correct. Should have checked the code before replying :)

Starting next release or current git version it's no longer necessary to create that file manually. It will be created when you use the USB Mass Storage configuration dialog. Look for the little wrench icon on the right side of the UMS item in "Local Music".

Bart