This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

copyright liberation

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
eva
Registered Member

copyright liberation

Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 pm
Hi, do you know this new copyright liberation poll system? It has been implemented in the Listen music player: https://www.listen-project.org/2010/02/ ... tion-poll/

It seems to be a very smart way to fund software development, legalize file sharing and fund audiovisual creativity. Don't you think that it would be a nice to have it in Amarok too?

Eva.
nhn
KDE Developer
OS

Re: copyright liberation

Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:41 pm
I actually think that is a great idea.

I had not heard about Liberation poll before, but this is something I will look into.

- Nikolaj
eva
Registered Member

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:13 pm
Great to hear! I think this has a good potential, it's a win/win system.

BTW I think that it has just been released, Creative Commons team talked about it the 22nd for the first time, they must be the in first ones to know about this stuff: http://twitter.com/creativecommons/status/9502437019

I am not a coder, but let me know if I can help in any way. I tried to find the code in Listen to figure out if I could do something, but I wasn't even able to find the right file! :-/
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:27 pm
Apparently they provide an API: https://yooook.net/site/liberation_poll/doc/

No need to digg in the other players code for that :)

But the fees are quite high for a single song, since the point is to have many users going to pay for it, no? I doubt you will find many willing to pay 20 Euro...

Also, Yooook seems to be very interested in raising a fee on every transaction twice, so ultimately they will get more money than the artists, which is not necessarily a good idea. I very much prefer the retribution system provided by Magnatune.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
nhn
KDE Developer
OS

Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:01 pm
If I understand correctly, the real goal here is to pledge some money towards liberating content that is currently under an "all rights reserved" type license. So for instance, if enough people think it could be cool to have, say, a song by Porcupine Tree released under a CC license, they can pledge some money towards that, and if enough people do so, they will try to negotiate with the rights holder.

Or is that no how it works?
eva
Registered Member

Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:12 pm
Hello, i digg a little more, I am in touch with them (maybe you should contact them, they replied quickly).

Mamarok: I think that you didn't looked in at the system close enough, it is not what you describe.

First, artists have 80% of the earnings, and once the music has been payed, released and licensed under Creative Commons it's available for free to anyone and forever. With Magnatune people pays endlessly, the most successful get the more money (based on success, not on quality or production cost), and the public have not always the right to share (Creative Commons is not required).

Then, the liberation poll is a side service, nothing to do with the main one i just described. If entities (like Amarok) forward copyright liberation answers to them, and _if_ it triggers a real liberation (because the poll reaches a certain amount) Amarok will have its share (which is taken on the yooook's 20%, the artist's share is untouched).

Freespirit: I think you got it! :-) I think I found the sample code there: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~listen-dev ... /yooook.py

I'll digg more tomorow!

Good night,

Eva.
nhn
KDE Developer
OS

Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:45 am
eva wrote:With Magnatune people pays endlessly, the most successful get the more money (based on success, not on quality or production cost), and the public have not always the right to share (Creative Commons is not required).

Actually this is not quite true. All music on Magnatune is licensed under a Creative Commons by-sa-nc license, so once you have bought it, you can share it with others freely (as long as it is non commercial)
eva
Registered Member

Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:48 pm
Freespirit wrote:Actually this is not quite true. All music on Magnatune is licensed under a Creative Commons by-sa-nc license, so once you have bought it, you can share it with others freely (as long as it is non commercial)

Oh sorry, I didn't know that :-)
yooook
Registered Member

Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:19 pm
Hi all, thank you for your interest in the liberation poll system, and thank you Eva for spreading the word (again!).

Do not hesitate to ask me if you have any question. The system is very simple, in fact you just have to build an URL with the approriate information, and open in a browser (inside Amarok or using an external browser). Most of the code in the Listen's plugin is internal machinery, the Web from part is between line 225 and 260, sorry it's Python, but it's easy to read :-) Here a short version with a Porcupine Tree song as example:

Code: Select all
import urllib

def dic_to_querystring(d):
    return '&'.join(map(lambda x: urllib.quote(x)+'='+urllib.quote(d[x]), d))

form = {'group':                'audiovisual',
        'group_category':       'track',
#        'rallying_entity':      'amarok', # Enable this to allow Amarok to get its share on the liberation (amarok user has to be created first).
        'title':                'Fear Of A Blank Planet',
        'author':               'Porcupine Tree',
        'cc-by-nc-nd-question': '3',
        'cc-by-nc-sa-question': '6',
        'cc-by-sa-question':    '12'}

print 'https://yooook.net/site/liberation_poll/?%s' % dic_to_querystring(form)

Which results in: https://yooook.net/site/liberation_poll ... uestion=12

The API won't be useful in your case IMHO, it is useful to check if a user has effectively answered a poll (to trigger some action). IMHO it makes sense for a website, e.g. allow a user to download a MP3 or a .torrent, but after the user told how much she/he would pay to have the content under CC license ;-)

But in the case of a player like Amarok, I think that a simple poll button (as in Listen) is more adapted.

Bye.