This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Podcast and collection engines as lightweight servers

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
konst
Registered Member
What I would like to see is the podcast engine and collection engine be a standalone server so Amarok doesn't have to be on all the time and it can update your collections in a lightweight background instead of using almost 2GB of RAM all the time.

There's no need to have Amarok taking up so much resources just to have your podcasts up to date by having it on all the time.
markey
KDE Developer
OS
The collection scanner is actually running in a separate process. At any rate, the high resource usage is not normal.

What version are you using? Upgrading to the latest one is often a good idea :)

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
konst
Registered Member
markey wrote:The collection scanner is actually running in a separate process. At any rate, the high resource usage is not normal.

What version are you using? Upgrading to the latest one is often a good idea :)

I'm using version 2.2.2 on Gentoo Linux with a hardened kernel version 2.6.xx

I will be upgrading to 2.2.2.90

It's possible Amarok has or is causing a memory leak related to the following:
http://www.grsecurity.net/pipermail/grs ... 00954.html
userinScotland
Registered Member
OS
Don't know about the technical details, resources etc., but I like the OP's idea.

I often find myself opening Amarok only to update podcasts, so that I know they'll be available later. (It's esp. useful since I have only intermittent wireless)

As an alternative, are there command-line parameters I could send to get a similar effect & save clicks? For example:
Code: Select all
amarok --update-and-download-podcasts-in-the-background-then-quietly-close-again-or-send-a-notification-of-the-new-episodes
(may need some rewording :p )

Maybe it'd be a job for a plasmoid?