This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is this the very power of amarok plasmoids?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
joethefox
Registered Member
OS
Tonight I had a dream... :o

I think that the actual amarok framework is ready to implement a plasmoid that can grow up the appeal of this fantastic music player... a Virtual DJ plasmoid.
Here is a mockup that describe my dream... I've just brutal cut & paste a dj software into amarok, but don't you think that is very cool???

Current & next track taken directly from the playlist...

joethefox, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
joethefox
Registered Member
OS
joe your dream is a good thing or it is the worst idea I've ever heard, but tell me something... your indifference hurts me

markey
KDE Developer
OS
To be honest: I find this idea rather bizarre :)

I mean, that's not to be meant insulting, but there are limits to what you could and should put into a single application. If you start with a complete DJ studio, what's next? KMail in Amarok? An IDE? OpenOffice?

So, I think that's a bit overkill.

--
Mark Kretschmann - Amarok Developer
joethefox
Registered Member
OS
o) Thanks for the spontaneous reply eh eh... kmail into amarok uhm... not bad at all... obviously I'm joking, even basic functions of mixing?
All because, in Amarok, the management of the music library (be it local or network) is unique and friendly, but you can not mix two tracks while listening! and this is not a good thing when you make a... party!

I owe you a beer.

userinScotland
Registered Member
OS
It might be a weeeeeeee bit overkill, but I did run into this need last Saturday. I wanted to switch tracks without including some of the intros / outros.

Maybe a simple way could be to allow varying the start / end points, cross-fading behviour, etc. on a per-track or per-playlist basis?
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Why not run those tracks through Audacity to cut off those bits, and just have some alternative tracks available to you? I would not like to see Amarok take on this task, personally.

Valorie
joethefox
Registered Member
OS
@valoriez, Why you don't want to have the opportunity to hear two songs without interruptions? I think your point of view is a solitary listening... why don't you think that amarok could be the hero of our parties with friends? (maybe only in Sicily there is the desire to do parties often filled with friends?). Without even the slightest ability to mix between tracks amarok cannot break the wall of listening alone... I do not want to argue, just understand...

valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Actually, I've used Amarok to play music for a party. I just set up a playlist and let it play. I'm not sure what you are asking for -- can you talk more about it? I'm not sure what you mean by "slightest ability to mix between tracks" -- that seems to mean DJing software? I don't want to argue either, just understand.

Hoping to hear more,

Valorie
joethefox
Registered Member
OS
hum.. I'm not native english (google translate helps me) to be able to find the right words... I'll try. I think that when you dance, if every song played you hear gap between previous and next track isn't a good think to continue dancing... you loose rhythm. I hope I was clear :?

valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
There was a problem with gapless playback, but it has now been turned back on in git. So you will not have access to it now, but the next version, out in a few weeks, should see the return of gapless playback.

Valorie
joethefox
Registered Member
OS
valoriez wrote:There was a problem with gapless playback, but it has now been turned back on in git.
thank you for the news (I had not noticed the temporary absence!)

but I'm not referring strictly to this kind of gapless, a gap is either when a song begin or finish, for example for ten seconds, fading in or out creating de facto a gap... just for fun: if you remember amarok 1.4 (!) a primitive dj mix was present: if you had enabled the option fade between tracks, you could try to mix the previous with the next one by clicking with the right rhythm! now if click with the right rhythm you can hear always the silence and the clear separation between tracks... no good for a dancing party!

Gio

joethefox
Registered Member
OS
[...]
seduced and then abandoned... :((

:p

Gilmo
Registered Member
OS
There are lots of DJ software, amarok doesn't need it at all in my opinion.
joethefox
Registered Member
OS
agree with you, my point of view is a dancing party with amarok not a professional dj software inside amarok! this is my opinion, I might be wrong but at the moment I cannot make party with amarok...

Gilmo
Registered Member
OS
I can't get why.. Anyways you can try to develop a specific plugin or ask for that.. But I wouldn't appreciate an invasive add like this.. Sorry :P