This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok strange problem

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
audiofanatic
Registered Member

Amarok strange problem

Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:11 pm
I hope I am posting in the correct part of the forum:

I use Amarok 2.3.0. and KDE 4.4.1 in PCLINUX. I use single WAV files with corresponding CUEsheet.
My WAV and corresponding CUE files are on an external harddisk formatted in NTFS. When I load an audiofile from the external harddisk it plays like a charm, it reads the corresponding CUE file too and displays the individual tracknames in the playlist as well.

When I copy those files to my /home/Music directory and play the file it still plays properly but it does not display the individual tracknames.
Whichever file I choose, it is allways the same: no tracknames?

I checked all files if they have the correct "rights" and "ownerships" and all seems to be in order. I also ripped a cd from within Linux with K3B (1 WAV+CUEsheet)but it will not work with that file either?

I am lost! :(
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Re: Amarok strange problem

Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:54 am
Please make sure that the files are in the correct case, as Linux file systems are case sensitive, whereas NTFS ( and Windows ) is case insensitive.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
audiofanatic
Registered Member

Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:53 am
Thanks for your answer bcooksley. If I understand you correctly (I am Dutch so English is not my mothertongue) you mean upper and lowercase? If yes, I checked this during my previous trials. Ihe filenames of both the WAV and the CUE have mixed upper and lower case letters. The filename of the WAV is identical to the corresponding CUE name both in spelling and upper/lower case.

There is only 1 strange thing I did not notice before: all the files on the external harddisk have an asterisk (*) at the end of the filename?
Example: anderson.wav* and anderson.cue*

If I look at those files in a Windows environment I do not see the *, what does it mean?
audiofanatic
Registered Member

Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:02 am
Just to be more precise: I see the asterisk only if I look at the disk using the command
ls -l
If I just browse or list the directory it does not show.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:06 am
That asterisk likely means the files are executable, which is probably because the Linux NTFS file system driver has to emulate Unix permissions since NTFS does not support them.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
audiofanatic
Registered Member

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:06 am
I am a little bit further now:

If I do not "add media" in Amarok to the playlist first, either from external disk (ED) or /home/user/Music (HM) the WAV from the ED plays with individual numbers and from HM does not show numbers.
If I add files to the playlist first (from HM) it works like a charm.

Did I misunderstand the concept of Amarok and do I need to add files to the playlist allways before playing?
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:14 am
Amarok is designed to play tracks, streams and podcasts from the playlist. You can add files, albums, etc. yourself, or from saved or generated playlists.

Valorie