This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok - play from memory?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
audiofanatic
Registered Member

Amarok - play from memory?

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:59 pm
Does Amarok in Linux have an option to load a complete WAV file into memory and play from memory? Some programs in Windows use it to avoid "disk interference" during playback.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Amarok - play from memory?

Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:42 pm
That simply depends on your amount of memory available at that very moment. Linux distributes memory more dynamically than Windows does. But I fail to see what "disk interferences" you would want to prevent with that TBH.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
audiofanatic
Registered Member

Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:59 am
The theory is that while playing from harddisk the spinning of the HD gives interference in the powersupply and that is unwanted.

A related question is: if I only use this specific pc for audioplayback, do I need a swapfile?
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:44 am
@audiofanatic: Your system should always have a swap partition available for optimum memory usage.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
audiofanatic
Registered Member

Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:04 am
Thanks for all your help. I will keep on trying to find a solution, does Linux "natively" use something else as cuesheets?