This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

tagging with replaygain- amarok script obsolete, new way?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jetpeach
Registered Member
Hi, the old amarok_replaygain.py script I used for years to enable replaygain playback functionality is now built in to amarok - which i love.

however, my question is what is now the best way to tag files with replaygain tags? the old script had a nice setting that could be enabled where once any file that didn't already have a replaygain tag was adding to a playlist, it would scan it and tag it with a replaygain tag. now, with this script no longer functional in amarok 2, i'm wondering what the best solution people are using now. are the original replaygain script writers still around, and would they consider making a version that just does tagging for amarok 2?

ideally, i'd love a script that would tag like the old method, rather than running something like mp3gain separation. with a script, each time a song is added to your collection, it wouldn't be necessary to first scan it and add a tag and this would happen automatically.

if nobody has plans or knows of plans for replaygain tagging, i may fiddle around with some script writing. i edited one for amarok 1.4 a long time time ago, but it was pretty terrible...
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Jetpeach, how about writing to the devel list with your ideas? While researching a possible article for the Insider about how to do replaygain, I came up with no viable easy ways to tag. I would love to see replaygain tagging return, whether inside Amarok or even stand-alone.

After all, Picard, EasyTag or Kid3 are better for mass-tagging than Amarok. On the other hand, it would be nice to be able to tag all at once when ripping a CD into Amarok, and have the capability to create and/or fix replaygain tags in Amarok.

Valorie
Rejoe
Registered Member
OS
Hello jetpeach,

I found QtGain to be a good solution for our problem.
Link is http://qt-apps.org/content/show.php/QtG ... tent=56842

Hope this helps.

Rejoe
jetpeach
Registered Member
Thanks for the answers. I emailed the devel list to see about this question.

Also checked QtGain out. QtGain sounds good for an outside of amarok solution, although there is no package for Kubuntu 64-bit Lucid (a 32 package was available, and QtGain will be in the Maverick repos, thankfully, but that didn't help me now.). And I couldn't figure out how to make the tar.gz...
apachelogger
KDE Developer
OS
jetpeach wrote:although there is no package for Kubuntu 64-bit Lucid (a 32 package was available, and QtGain will be in the Maverick repos, thankfully, but that didn't help me now.)

QtGain got green lights for publishing to lucid-backports today. It should become available sometime this week. :)

Annoyed with bbcode since 1999.