This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

bookmarks toolbar?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
drinkingcoffee
Registered Member

bookmarks toolbar?

Mon May 31, 2010 2:48 pm
I was wondering if it would be possible to implement a 'bookmarks toolbar' of sorts, à-la Firefox and other browsers (at the top of the 'Media Sources' pane, I'm thinking).

I've gotten pretty used to using the breadcrumb navigation, but do find that it can sometimes lead to some extra clicking than should be necessary to get from one 'place' to another. Also, it's proved to be extremely un-intuitive for my wife and girlfriend when they want to play some music from the local collection, and are presented with a file browser (say) or list of podcast.

There are only a few 'places' in amarok that I visit very frequently (local collection, file browser, podcasts), and I think it would be pretty handy to have links to those locations which are visible at all times (something bothers me about having to click to activate a drop-down menus all the time).

Maybe an optional bookmarks toolbar right above the breadcrumb trail would help with that? I can imagine in the bookmarks manager, an extra checkbox for each bookmark/folder: 'display in bookmarks toolbar'. I think this would be a much better feature than the old tabs system, and would complement, rather than replace the current breadcrumbs.

Oh, on a related note, being able to set the icons of each bookmark would be great as well. Right now, they all have the same flag icon, which makes it harder to differentiate them (I can't see my link a specific file-browser directory at a glance, I have to scan the text labels).

cheers!