This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Pandora integration into Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
xax200
Registered Member

Pandora integration into Amarok

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:39 pm
I know this subject has been rejected in the past, but I know many people would like this. Also, I may have new information to bring to the table.

Not long ago, I came across a project on github called pianobar. Pianobar is a program that plays music in your terminal. The only kicker is that it plays streams from your Pandora radio! Crazy right? Anyways, it seems someone has cracked Pandora's box and released a library to interface with Pandora called libpiano. You can check out pianobar and libpiano here: http://github.com/PromyLOPh/pianobar

Also, you can get the source by this command:
git clone git://github.com/PromyLOPh/pianobar.git pianobar

So, I think it might be time to re-look at this issue as libpiano is completely capable of playing Pandora streams. Some implementations of this include Pithos, pianobar, and the XBMC Pandora Plugin. XD
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Re: Pandora integration into Amarok

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:29 pm
First it would be necessary to figure out of it is even legal. If not, neither KDE nor amarok can risk including it. If other people want to provide support for it through, for instance, Amarok scripts that is fine, but KDE cannot include include it if it is not legal.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
xax200
Registered Member

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:23 pm
What if some of the community people wrote and maintained it as some sort of plugin for Amarok, and kept it in the universe repository? Would that be ok?

Also, I'm no lawyer. How would we go about verifying its legality?
google01103
Manager

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:39 pm
Pandora terms of service http://www.pandora.com/legal/ Relevant restriction statement might be: "3.5 translate, reverse engineer, decompile, disassemble, modify or create derivative works based on the Pandora Services or any portion of them". There is a fair number of widgets/gadgets displayed from a Google search, which of course does not mean they are legal. And since the service is supported by advertising this would complicate things. Obviously the answer would be for a potential developer to contact Pandora directly.

There is an official desktop app in beta (adobe air, obviously not open)

Also, the service is only available in the United States (because of licensing agreements)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:45 pm
The "universe" repository is a ubuntu-specific repository that is unusable for most KDE users (that is, anyone not using *ubuntu). The proper solution would be to write a script for amarok that provides the service to users who have pianobar installed through whatever means they want, and then distributing that script through kde-apps.org or whatever the normal source for amarok scripts is. That would be available to all KDE users regardless of what distribution they use. If someone wants to make a kubuntu package that includes this script and pianobar together, or an installable version of the script that pulls in pianobar, that is fine. But I don't think making it so that only users of one distribution can take advantage of the source is a good or fair approach.

As for determining its legality, I don't know.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965
flowcontrol
Registered Member
OS

Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:55 am
Ya, i was just thinking about this. I use PyRadio on my N900. I think the guy based it on pianobar. In any case, the guy wrote it realy nice. He basicly made a simple to use python-pandora API. It would be super simple to make any python-pandora project with it.

However, it dose bypass all pandora adverts, so leagal or not I am sure the pandora guys don't like it.
. . . You know... that should just motivate them to make a nice Pandora app for the N900. 8)