This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Devices

Tags: mtp mtp mtp
(comma "," separated)
coacharnold
Registered Member

Devices

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:32 pm
Any chance the Amarok 2.3.1 has any sort of device support????

Its been the main thing missing since 2.0 and it never even seems to be discussed ....

any chance ..... or should I stick with my 1.4.8 derivative?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Devices

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:49 pm
Well, Amarok supports various USB and MTP devices as well as many iPod models since the very start. Did you even try it? I can use my Sansa Clip without any major problems here, be this in USB or MTP mode.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
google01103
Manager

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:54 pm
You connect the device, then mount the device and the device should show in the "local music" as a device separate (and above) from "local collection".

see http://bausparfuchs.wordpress.com/2010/ ... -amarok-2/

works fine with my Sansa E series

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

coacharnold
Registered Member

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:12 pm
Mamarok
Yes in fact I have tried it several times and completely screwed myself and collection.... then asked for help on this forum and gotten yelled at specifically by YOU over why devices don't work ..... I follow every update with a keen eye and read all the update logs and I have yet to see anything about devices mtp or msc .... since this is a reason why so many of us refuse to upgrade to amarok 2 ...... I would think if it actually worked it might be discussed on the site .... and NOW its become so integrated in KDE that I can't upgrade to Kubuntu 10 without some effort .... which I'd rather not play with ...

so ... lets be nice and maybe you folks can use all the great looking design skill you have shown on Amarok and its web site and maybe add some explination of DEVICES support ..... since device support is pretty high up on user application requirements (if its not you folks need some serious design help)

Mamarok wrote:Well, Amarok supports various USB and MTP devices as well as many iPod models since the very start. Did you even try it? I can use my Sansa Clip without any major problems here, be this in USB or MTP mode.
coacharnold
Registered Member

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:15 pm
GREAT .. (been there long ago thanks ..... but it's not reliable unless there's been an upgrade or change in recent versions)

BUT WHY do i have to go to another site to have it explained????? Why isn't this a part of Amarok????

see http://bausparfuchs.wordpress.com/2010/ ... -amarok-2/

works fine with my Sansa E series[/quote]
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Jun 05, 2010 10:19 pm
You don't have to, just plug it in, it normally just shows in your local music section. Do you really need instructions for plugin in your media device?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
coacharnold
Registered Member

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:42 am
SInce ... device support has been such a HUGE issue .... when it returns YES!!!!!!
webqs
Registered Member

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:04 am
coacharnold:

Amarok uses KDE's device support so it should "just work". I have all my Music on a 32G SD Card in my N900. I plug it into my notebook, wait a second for it to be automounted (check your device notifier widget). It then should appear in your local collections list.

You may have to tell Amarok that there is a Collection on the device (configure it in Amarok then do a full collection scan).

One caveat: for removable devices if they are unplugged while Amarok is running then Amarok will "lose" the collection, even if you plug the device back in. You'll have to do a full rescan of the collection to get the collection visible again. It's an annoying little feature. One way around this is to make sure the device is plugged and mounted before Amarok starts up.

Hope this helps you out. If you are having major device problems then you should try to see if you can browse whatever device you are using in Dolphin and try to isolate the problem from there. You should also list your device specs here: is it a standard USB stick/card, external HDD, MTP an iPod etc?

Cheers
James
allenpl
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:33 pm
Amarok 2.3.1 doesn't see my iPod Video. Gtkpod sees it fine. It auto-
mounts OK and shows a file browser window. It used to work with 1.4.x.

I'm not interested in "It should just work" responses, and I really
don't care whether the fault is with Amarok, KDE, or supporting libs.
I just want to know how to diagnose this. When it doesn't work, what
can cause the failure?

Details:

Amarok: 2.3.1
KDE: 4.4.3
libgpod: 0.7.0
Symptom: Plugging in an iPod produces a file browser, but nothing
changes in Amarok. It apparently doesn't notice the device.
Expected behaviour: Amarok shows a new collection when the iPod is
connected.

Thanks,

Paul Allen