This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Understanding the Amarok file system

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
fruitcakes
Registered Member
OS
I am a raw beginner to Ubuntu. I have tried it several times over the years, but always came away scratching my head. I've now got Ubuntu running in a VMware player on Windows 7. I've listen to a lot of podcasts and usually just download them and then copy and paste them into my Sandisk mp3 player. I've got Amarok up and running, downloading and playing, but I can't find where Amarok is saving the files! Putting them in the "Music" folder would seem like the logical place. Where are they saved? ???
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The database is stored in $HOME/.kde/share/apps/amarok, so are the saved podcasts and playlists, the settings are in $HOME/.kde/share/config/, the configuration files all start with amarok* and are text files.

Amarok doesn't put anything in the Music folder, since that is a user folder, and the applications do not write application specific settings in a user folder in Linux. That is not specific to Amarok, but how KDE on Linux is organised.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Lukas
Registered Member
Hmm, whats the point of System Settings > Account details > Paths > Music path ?

I really appreciate that it doesn't fill entire My documents folder with unwanted data (as it was in windows era), but having Music path setting, well it makes sense to save podcasts there :)
Mamarok
Manager
OS
It doesn't, since most people don't want their saved podcasts to show up in the collection, and podcasts are very often only saved temporarily.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
What if someone wanted to save a podcast -- I have some that I have kept for some time. Is there anything preventing the user from keeping them in the Music or a Podcast directory? Could Amarok access such from some location other than $HOME/.kde/share/apps/amarok?

I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here.
Proudly wearing a negative Karma.
Kubuntu 12.04 .2, Dell Dimension 3000
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
I have a few podcasts I've kept for various reasons. They are part of my collection, in ~/Music/Podcasts. I can select and play them just like music tracks. It would make sense to put them in /Various Artists/Podcasts, too. For those special ones, you can copy the file path from the Edit Track Details dialog, and move it to your collection. For instance, you could

Code: Select all
mv /home/valorie/.kde/share/apps/amarok/podcasts/On The Media/otm041610pod.mp3 /home/valorie/Music/Podcasts/On The Media/otm041610pod.mp3

to use one of my downloaded podcasts as an example. I would rarely bother to do this, however.
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
O.K., thank you for the response.

To be sure I'm understanding correctly, everything is by default stored in $HOME/.kde/share/apps/amarok. A specific file (i.e., a single podcast) cannot be directed for storage in a desired other location (i.e., ~/Podcasts) using the Amarok GUI? Or did I miss something.

karoshi
Registered Member
OS
Rightclick on the podcast > configure > save location?
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
jglen490 wrote:O.K., thank you for the response.

To be sure I'm understanding correctly, everything is by default stored in $HOME/.kde/share/apps/amarok. A specific file (i.e., a single podcast) cannot be directed for storage in a desired other location (i.e., ~/Podcasts) using the Amarok GUI? Or did I miss something.

As Mamarok said, it isn't in the average Amarok user case. How often does one want to store a podcast long-term? I think I have five, after years of listening to podcasts.

The developers have limited time, just as the rest of us do, so they focus on 1) features they want, and 2) features they know lots of users want. Not only do they not have time to program for the rare use-case, but also believe in the elegance of simplicity. Feature creep is the enemy of simplicity.

Valorie
jglen490
Registered Member
OS
I understand and am one of "those" who haven't used Amarok since 1.4.(something) ;)

wcunning
Registered Member
OS
I want my podcasts stored in a different folder mostly because I dualboot. Because of this, I have a partition on which I store all of my media so that I can access it no matter what OS I'm currently booted into. Now my solution to this problem therefore has to put all of my podcasts on this separate media partition. What I did for that was as follows:

Code: Select all
$ cd ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok
$ rmdir podcasts
$ ln -s /path/to/preferred/location ./podcasts

This puts a symlink into the directory where Amarok expects to find it's own podcast directory, and Amarok will put files into the symlink, thus leaving my files where I want them.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Why would you do something so complicated?
Right click on any subscription or episode and select "Configure", you can then put the preferred location for each subscription individually.