This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amarok and the ID3 field "Album artist" - annoying

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
corneld
Registered Member
OS
Hi everyone !
I don't know how should I search this, so if it's out there, somewhere, please take my apologies.
So... I have this annoying problem with amarok 2.1.1, on KDE 4.3.5 (Suse 11.2): some mp3s have in their ID3 tags filled up a certain field called "Album artist" (I can't figure out why this field even exist, since not even winamp uses it...) and seems that amarok uses this field with a priority higher than the "normal" field, "artist". The problem comes when this field gets filled with something you want to update/delete... and amarok does not do this !
The only warkaround is to copy the file in a windows PC, edit the ID3 tag in winamp (delete or edit this field .. usually I just delete it's content) and than copy it back to my linux box...
Can anyone tell me what can I do to edit this field in amarok ?
Or better .. WHY is this field used in the first place, in amarok ?

I didn't tried too much of other music players in my linux box, but I think no one could edit this annoying field, either... (XMMS for sure can't)
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Wow, 2.1.1. We are up to 2.3.1 now, and so many improvments have been made. Please update.

Where are you seeing this tag, exactly? I can filter for "album artist" but I don't see it in the tag editing screen.

Winamp isn't the standard setter, by the way. The standards for id3 tags: http://www.id3.org/

Valorie
google01103
Manager
first thing is you should update to 2.3.1, as 2.1.1 is pretty old (also your kde is too, 4.4 is std, 4.5 is in beta)

if you need a tag editor for Linux tag3 is my fav

"Album artist" is a std mp3 id3 tag
from http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/help/o ... nimentfrom 1.3.8.
Album Artist (Accompanient)
The Artist for the album, this is most useful in Various Artist compilations. This field was originally defined by ID3 as the Accompanient but is rarely used for this purpose.

are the mp3's with it album compilations with various artists?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

corneld
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:first thing is you should update to 2.3.1, as 2.1.1 is pretty old (also your kde is too, 4.4 is std, 4.5 is in beta)

if you need a tag editor for Linux tag3 is my fav

"Album artist" is a std mp3 id3 tag
from http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/jsp/help/o ... nimentfrom 1.3.8.
Album Artist (Accompanient)
The Artist for the album, this is most useful in Various Artist compilations. This field was originally defined by ID3 as the Accompanient but is rarely used for this purpose.

are the mp3's with it album compilations with various artists?

Well... if this is the case, then I don't understand why amarok doesn't helps me in editing it ...
Some of the songs I observed with this tag filled were, indeed, in that category (Various artists) but... they were only a few in this "league" ... Most of them were just filled for the sake of filling every field available (at least that was my impression...). Very few had "various artists" in the field "album artist", and real name in the field "artist"...
google01103
Manager
so are you saying that the fields filled in in Amarok are diff then when opened with a tag editor?

I don't see that tag field either when editing a track

corneld
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:so are you saying that the fields filled in in Amarok are diff then when opened with a tag editor?
I don't see that tag field either when editing a track

No no... I just know that this tag has something filled in (because I can see/edit it in winamp + windows) but I'm very frustrated that I can't see it in linux with amarok (and of course, not just see it, but edit it also).
And... didn't found other tag editors that can edit this field either (for instance jtagger doesn't recognise this tag, either).
The only workaround I can imagine in linux is.... to erase ID3 tags alltogether, and write them from scratch...
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Jtagger appears to be a windows app. Please try the popular Kid3, which I think will do what you want.

While Amarok offers tag-edit capabilities, that isn't its function. For advanced tagging capabilities, use a tag editor such as Kid3 or EasyTag.

Valorie
google01103
Manager
try kid3, I found an album I had with the field and it shows in kid3

corneld
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:try kid3, I found an album I had with the field and it shows in kid3

Thanx a lot ... I've already got my job done, with kid3.
Of course, there will be a great thing if amarok would edit this tag directly, though :) (it surprises me that I can edit multiple files' tags within amarok (say... I can edit all songs' tag Artist, within the same album, of course).

@valorie ... jTagger is a java application; I use it under my linux box (never tried it under windows, though...)
google01103
Manager
If the topic is resolved please click the green check mark on bottom of post to indicate it

ps - if you need a tagger to process a directory of albums try easytag, bit harder to understand (imho) but very powerful

You could add a BrainStorm idea for this but it's a player, not a tagger and if you look at the id3 specs there's lots more editable tags available