This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok displays ID3 tags differently than f.ex. kid3

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
meyerm
Registered Member
OS
Hi,

I recently bought some mp3s online and the artist was not named as I preferred. So I edited the tags within Amarok as I always do when I f.ex. correct spelling errors in the normal title tag. But in contrast to the changes in the title tag, Amarok didn't save the changes in the author field. Doesn't matter if I change many tracks at once or each track by itself.

So, as an example: I have the file 01_Drive.mp3 with the id3v1 and id3v2 artist "R.E.M". This is checked with id3tag/id3v2/kid3 (last one is a nice tip I found here on the forum :-) ). Now I change this to "R.E.M." within Amarok, it is ignored in the playlist. In Kid3 I can see this change!

But even when changing all the tags in Kid3 (verified with easytag, qtagger and id3v2) Amarok still shows the old writing of the artis in the playlist.

What am I seeing here...? What should I do?

Thanks,
M

Amarok Version 2.3.1
Using KDE 4.4.3 (KDE 4.4.3)
google01103
Manager
your problem (probably) is that Amarok doesn't see updated tags once the albums been scanned into the collection if the tagger doesn't change the file date/time attribute and it might be that Amarok's tagger doesn't adjust mtime. You could touch the affected files, remove and then re-add them to the collection, rescan the whole collection or rescan specific folders (new option in 2.3 iirc, dependent on how collection is set in config)

you see the revised tags in kid3 because you're processing the file and tags for the first time and haven't placed them in a db

there's a discussion about this in this thread viewtopic.php?f=115&t=85880&p=155655&hilit=amarok+tags#p155655

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

meyerm
Registered Member
OS
I thought so, too. But first, I'm not yet using the collections but simply dragging the files from the internal files browser. And second, I deleted ~/.kde4/share/apps/amarok and ~/.kde4/share/config/amarok* to have a fresh restart and that didn't help.

After reading your other thread I touched all the files and even recursively all directories up to my home. No luck either.

Since I used a hex-editor to validate that nowhere in the file I can find that "offending" string, I was pretty sure it is sth. saved within amarok itself. I finally simply dropped the whole database for amarok in my local mysql and now the correct tags are used.

I'm quite unhappy that I have to drop all of my database to get new tags on an album. In addition, it works when I edit the normal titles! Only when editing the artist it fails.

So, thank you for pushing me to try more. :-)

I guess this qualifies for another bug which I can file. Or are the Amarok-devs around and can tell me/us what I did wrong?

Thank you all!
meyerm
Registered Member
OS
(sry, double post due to bad mobile connection ;-) )
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
You can't use Amarok to tag files (successfully) if they aren't in the collection. Since you were dragging from the files browser, it's unclear to me whether those files were in your collection originally.

Also, check the permissions on those tracks. Amarok needs write permission in order to successfully tag files. That's the first thing to check when fields are grayed out, or your changes won't save successfully.
meyerm
Registered Member
OS
valoriez wrote:You can't use Amarok to tag files (successfully) if they aren't in the collection. Since you were dragging from the files browser, it's unclear to me whether those files were in your collection originally.

They weren't. I wasn't using the collection feature at all at that moment (so there were not even other files in it). But I was able to change the title tags of songs successfully even when not using any collection feature and changing the artist tags also changed them inside of the mp3-files (verified with other tools). The new artist wasn't shown in Amarok itself, however. Because I wasn't using the collection at all I didn't thought immediatly about deleting the amarok database (I wrongly assumed that non-collection files aren't recorded in there).

valoriez wrote:Also, check the permissions on those tracks. Amarok needs write permission in order to successfully tag files. That's the first thing to check when fields are grayed out, or your changes won't save successfully.

Hehe, that's always a good hint. Those trivial things are often those that one forgets ;-). But in this case this wasn't the problem as I was able to change the tags (and write that to the disk) but Amarok didn't re-read its own changes.

Thanks for reading/answering :-)
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
You can check the permissions in Dolphin, Konqueror, or whatever you use as a file manager. You'll see it when you right-click on the selected file under Properties > Permissions. If you choose the folder level, be sure to click "apply to all files" or similar.

I'm especially suspicious that this is the root of your problem because you bought and downloaded these tracks. Although, I have found permissions problems in freshly ripped tracks too. It always pays to check.

All the best,

Valorie