This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Collection includes not selected directories

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
econaut
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

I witness a strange behavior of my otherwise perfect Amarok 2.3.1:

My collection inside Amarok shows albums that are in different directories than the selected one in the configuration. I use the default database mode.

I only want my "mp3" folder in the collection, where all my correctly tagged music is in. the other folders on the same partition have not been tagged and heard through yet, and thus shouldn't be in the collection...

Interestingly, I don't know how Amarok selects the other stuff. In my collection folder there are 17785 files (also artwork, etc.). The collection inside amarok shows 19104 songs. That's too many, but not as many as there are saved on the entire partition...

Any ideas?
google01103
Manager
My experience is that all media in the parent directory of the directory selected for the collection appear to be scanned and included in the collection - is this the same for you?

ex
~/Home
--MyDocuments
--MyMedia
-----MP3s (set as collection)
--OtherDir's

For me anything in My Media (the parent of the collections dir) is scanned and included but not the directories MyDocuments nor OtherDir's

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

econaut
Registered Member
OS
Hm, I don't think this is the case here, since then there would be many more than 200 files more than in the collection directory.

I have now selected all the subdirectories of my collection directory, though, and now the collection is correct.

This is a suitable workaround, but I don't think the default behavior is as it should be. At least it's irritating.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Default behavior is ~/Music is your collection. If you want only a particular directory tree to be your collection, then you select that. So it sounds as if everything is working as it should be.
google01103
Manager
valoriez wrote:Default behavior is ~/Music is your collection. If you want only a particular directory tree to be your collection, then you select that. So it sounds as if everything is working as it should be.

it does not work that way for me (see my post above or the bug report I just submitted https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=243532) - it should only include files in the collections folder selected, not it's parent also.

Last edited by google01103 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed link to bug report

Mamarok
Manager
OS
Could you please give the link to the bug report instead of the attachment?

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
google01103
Manager

econaut
Registered Member
OS
Actually I experienced some difficulties with the above mentioned workaround, so I played around a little.

These difficulties looked like this: a band and/or album is shown in the collection, but one can't "plus-click" the tracks.

Anyway, I rescanned my actual collection directory again and it showed the same behavior.

Solution: Restart Amarok after scanning! Now it's actually working with the correct directory, as it seems.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Yes, we do advise shutting Amarok down after scanning, since some changes are written to the db at shutdown. I'm happy to hear you solved your problem.

All the best,

Valorie
rocketsurgeon
Registered Member
OS
My experience is similar.

I have configured Amarok to find its music in the following folders:

/stuff/audio/flac/music
/stuff/audio/flac/classical
/stuff/audio/mp3/music

yet when I have enabled "Watch folders for changes", it picks up files in

/stuff/rips/

as they are being ripped, as well as files in

/stuff/audio/flac/audiobooks
/stuff/audio/mp3/podcasts

if I edit their tags or add files, and incorporates them into the collection. Only by forcing a full rescan will these files be excluded from my collection again, until they are touched again.
google01103
Manager
@rocketsurgeon - you could confirm the problem @ my bug report at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=243532, might help it get noticed

as a work around I do all my prep work in a completely different directory something like ~/temp

rocketsurgeon
Registered Member
OS
google01103 wrote:@rocketsurgeon - you could confirm the problem @ my bug report at https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=243532, might help it get noticed

Done.

google01103 wrote:as a work around I do all my prep work in a completely different directory something like ~/temp

As you can tell from my take on it, doing work in /stuff/rips (or /stuff) while having amarok setup to look in /stuff/audio/flac/music is close enough for amarok to still incorrectly pick up the files.