This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Is it possible not to sort Collection at all?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
baudolino
Registered Member
OS
Hello.
Amarok 1.4 gave the opportunity of not sorting the files loaded; this seems to be lost in Amarok 2.3.1, as the collection uses at least one sorting criterion. I would like Amarok to load the files in the same order as they are on disk.
i.e: on disk:
-01. Danger.mp3
-02. Ride.mp3
-03. Anyway.mp3
in Amarok (regardless the sorting I'm using)
- Anyway
- Danger
- Ride
This is very annoying as I enjoy listening albums' tracks in exactly the same order as the artist intended, not alphabetically order.
Is is possible somehow to remove this sorting?
Thanks.
google01103
Manager
Something isn't right cause mine are always sorted as you wish.

I assume the sorting is done by tag valuess (someone will correct me if I'm amiss), do have track number tags filled in?

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

baudolino
Registered Member
OS
No, tags do not contain track numbers.
marcel
Registered Member
OS
baudolino wrote:No, tags do not contain track numbers.

Than this is the reason why your tracks are sorted alphabetically.
baudolino
Registered Member
OS
But I don't want to display track numbers :) I only want Amarok not to sort them at all, as it was in Amarok 1.4

This should be more explicit
http://j.imagehost.org/view/0251/amarok1

http://j.imagehost.org/view/0095/amarok2
marcel
Registered Member
OS
Note that the collection does not allow to specify how individual tracks should be sorted. You can only decide how tracks should be grouped.

OK, you want the default sorting to be "by filename" while it currently appears to be "by track", then "by title" (or whatever).

You may file a wish at bugs.kde.org. However, I would file a wish for an additional sorting "by filename" as the default behavior makes a lot of sense to me.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
This is by no means a bug, you need to add the track numbers, Amarok can't guess what the order intended by the artist is if the track numbers are not in the tags.

To avoid displaying the track numbers just edit the playlist layout.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
baudolino
Registered Member
OS
Hi. I didn't say it was a bug

"Amarok can't guess what the order intended by the artist "
that's true, but I rearranged them on disk to match a specific order, and amarok 1.4 took this into consideration :)

"you need to add the track numbers"
pretty hard, considering the thousands tracks that I have.

Thanks anyway for your help.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Use a mass tagger like easytag, kid3 or picard, it can write the missing tags quite fast.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...