This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Can not edit track details of some tracks

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
multimedia
Registered Member
OS
Currently I use version 2.3.1, but I have this issue since many versions back.

For some tracks I can not edit the track details. I can open the track detail window, I can see the info in the fields, but the fields are greyed out and the info can not be edited.

To make these 'problematic' tracks editable again, I have to put these tracks in the current playlist, quit and restart Amarok. All the tracks in the current playlist right after starting Amarok will be editable. Later, when these tracks are not in the current playlist (and when I have quit and restart Amarok), they will not be editable again.

The owner and permissions of the music files and folders of these problematic tracks are the same like the other tracks.

FYI, I use an external mysql database for Amarok... might that be the cause of this behaviour?
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Please double-check the permissions of some of those grayed-out files. Unless the tracks are in a remote collection, which itself is creating the permission problem, it almost always is the local file permissions which won't let you edit.

The database shouldn't affect things; you are writing the tags of the files themselves, not their db entries.

Valorie
multimedia
Registered Member
OS
I've checked the permissions again and all greyed-out tracks are files that are readable and writable for me. I don't see a difference in file permission and file owner between the good tracks and the bad tracks.

When I put the bad tracks in the current playlist, then quit and restart amarok, these tracks will be editable again. But when I remove these tracks from the current playlist and then quit and restart amarok, these tracks will be not editable again. It looks like as if the tracks in the current playlist are getting a different treatment when amarok is quit or started.
Kryten2X4B
Registered Member
OS
multimedia wrote:I've checked the permissions again and all greyed-out tracks are files that are readable and writable for me. I don't see a difference in file permission and file owner between the good tracks and the bad tracks.

I can confirm that. I've had that happen to me too occasionally, and it is definitely not a matter of file permissions. If it had been, Kid3 and EasyTag (the taggers I have installed) would not have been able to edit the tags either. But in all instances they have been able to. As soon as I've saved the tags through either of those programs and Amarok has detected a change in the monitored folders and updated the database, the changes are immediately visible in the collection.

I also don't think it's a case of some files being partially broken so Amarok don't know how to edit them. After all, afaik all three programs uses the same library as a backend when tagging (or indeed, reading the tags).

OpenSUSE 11.4, 64-bit with KDE 4.6.4
Proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
Sorror
Registered Member
OS
Amarok has often troubles with updating file tags. Even when the .mp3 file has been edited with EasyTag and all the other applications see the changes and new tags properly, Amarok sometimes still displays old version when 'right click -> edit track details'.

Even worse, in above situation Amarok is still scrobbling old information to the Last.fm. I've no clue why it does that, especially when its not using external mysql database. Plain weird.

Team Fedora (EN: fedoraproject.org PL: fedora.pl)
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Sorror wrote:Amarok has often troubles with updating file tags. Even when the .mp3 file has been edited with EasyTag and all the other applications see the changes and new tags properly, Amarok sometimes still displays old version when 'right click -> edit track details'.

Which is totally unrelated to this thread, what you experience is a caching bug in the Collection Browser, nothing to do with the Track editor.

Sorror wrote:Even worse, in above situation Amarok is still scrobbling old information to the Last.fm. I've no clue why it does that, especially when its not using external mysql database. Plain weird.

Can you actually prove this or is it just a wild guess? Since the caching bug is only in the display, this is pretty impossible to happen.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
mici
Registered Member
OS
multimedia wrote:Currently I use version 2.3.1, but I have this issue since many versions back.

For some tracks I can not edit the track details. I can open the track detail window, I can see the info in the fields, but the fields are greyed out and the info can not be edited.

To make these 'problematic' tracks editable again, I have to put these tracks in the current playlist, quit and restart Amarok. All the tracks in the current playlist right after starting Amarok will be editable. Later, when these tracks are not in the current playlist (and when I have quit and restart Amarok), they will not be editable again.

Hello, I have exactly same problem with editing track details. I use to make them editable the same way too, but only before I upgraded my SLED11 to SLED11 sp1. After upgrade, that trick with putting tracks to playlist and restarting Amarok does not work anymore. I am not sure if SP1 upgrade included Amarok upgrade as well. I use Amarok v.2.1.1 GNOME 2.28.2 , SLED11sp1_64. The tracks I want to edit info are downloaded mp3 podcasts. What's more, I must listen the tracks from the beginning, I can not use slider to start playing them from any other point. The slider just does not react to clicking on it. I'm not suer it this issue is related to the detail editing issue.
Mamarok
Manager
OS
mici wrote:I use Amarok v.2.1.1 GNOME 2.28.2 , SLED11sp1_64. The tracks I want to edit info are downloaded mp3 podcasts. What's more, I must listen the tracks from the beginning, I can not use slider to start playing them from any other point. The slider just does not react to clicking on it. I'm not suer it this issue is related to the detail editing issue.

To start with, you really should upgrade to a more recent Amarok version, 2.1.1 is completely outdated, the current stable version is Amarok 2.3.1

As for the progress slider, this is a completely different issue, and is related to the Phonon backend you are using. Please search the forum for threads about this subject, it is not related to this one.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
evll
Registered Member
OS
Currently I use version 2.3.1, but I have this issue since many versions back.

The owner and permissions of the music files and folders of these problematic tracks are the same like the other tracks.

FYI, I use an external mysql database for Amarok... might that be the cause of this behaviour?

All 100% same for me. Except I don't use mysql. Seems that there is a bug in Amarok.
mici
Registered Member
OS
Mamarok wrote:To start with, you really should upgrade to a more recent Amarok version, 2.1.1 is completely outdated, the current stable version is Amarok 2.3.1

So does it mean that problem with editing track details has been specific to Amarok 2.1.1 and newer versions do not have that problem?

I do not like the idea of replacing software that is part of original distribution with newest software. Going this way I should have probably replaced all software that Novell ships as part of SLED by now.
Since I am just an average user and not an admin or programmer I would not want to disrupt consistency of original SLED distro. So, is there any other way of fixing the problem besides upgrading Amarok?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
The inability to interrupt download podcasts is fixed in later versions, yes, the problem with editing tracks is something we haven't found a cure to, yet, since none of the developers can reproduce it.
If you use an older SLED version and don't want to upgrade, then please address your support questions to OpenSuSE directly, there is nothing we can do about, we are upstream and they need to backport our fixes.

evll
Registered Member
OS
the problem with editing tracks is something we haven't found a cure to, yet, since none of the developers can reproduce it.

A small tip that could help you reproduce the error. Editing becomes disabled for me mostly when I use the "Files" view. I navigate to a folder (which is in my collection) and select "Replace playlist" on it.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Are you saying that once you add the tracks to the playlist, they become un-editable? Because I just edited a whole CD worth of tracks that was missing the track numbers for some reason. No problem at all. Normally don't use the Files view for that, but it worked just fine.

Valorie
evll
Registered Member
OS
Actually, they are uneditable even without adding to the playlist. Can't edit tags from the file view at all. Reinstalling amarok and deleting all configuration didn't help
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
That isn't surprising, since I don't think this has anything to do with Amarok.

Can you edit the tags when you select the track from the Collection Browser? How about from the playlist itself?