This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Move Podcasts on Portable Music Readers

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
aleboco
Registered Member
OS
Hi all,

I really enjoy listening to podcasts in amarok, since 2.3 even more than before!

However, I wonder if there is any easy way to copy/move the downloaded podcasts into an external music reader (i.e. the Sansa Clip I use -- I use it in USB storage mode).

I imagine something like just right clicking on the episodes and choose "copy these episodes to the clip". This will help people to listen podcasts on the move and at the same time use amarok to manage them.

Is this a planned feature? (I'm on kubuntu with 2.3 and cannot find anything similar). If not, what's the best way to submit a feature request?
Mamarok
Manager
OS
It is a planned feature, but not implemented yet.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Stecchino
KDE Developer
No, it *is* available in 2.3 but could be hard to figure out I admit. Here is how to use it:
1. Plug in the device running as USB Mass Storage.
2. Click on "Open with File Manager" when KDE gives you the option to mount the device.
3. There will now be an extra entry in Media Sources > Local Music for your player.
4. Hover over or right click this item and click the wrench icon or Collection > Configure ...
5. Configure the podcast folder and, for ease of use, check the box to automatically use.

Now an entry extra entry will be visible in the podcast section. Make sure Merged View is off to see it.
Any podcast episode you downloaded now can be copied to the player using drag and drop.

What is currently not working yet is *automatic* transfer to your media player. This depends on playlist synchronization support and this is a work in progress.
aleboco
Registered Member
OS
Stecchino wrote:No, it *is* available in 2.3 but could be hard to figure out I admit. Here is how to use it:
1. Plug in the device running as USB Mass Storage.
2. Click on "Open with File Manager" when KDE gives you the option to mount the device.
3. There will now be an extra entry in Media Sources > Local Music for your player.
4. Hover over or right click this item and click the wrench icon or Collection > Configure ...
5. Configure the podcast folder and, for ease of use, check the box to automatically use.

Now an entry extra entry will be visible in the podcast section. Make sure Merged View is off to see it.
Any podcast episode you downloaded now can be copied to the player using drag and drop.

What is currently not working yet is *automatic* transfer to your media player. This depends on playlist synchronization support and this is a work in progress.

Although I saw your suggestion made it into Amarok Insider, I've been able to try it just now...

I have to say it works! As you said, it is quite hard to figure out (even finding the device was not that easy...)... but at the end it will come very useful! Finally I can listen to my podcasts on mobility! Of course automatic transfer would still be very welcome! ;-)

I don't know if it is the right place to do so, but I am willing to ask about another feature...

Do you know if there are any plans to add a sort of "important episode" tag/mark/button so that one could choose not to delete some episodes even when the number of episodes to be generally stored is limited?

That would be great!

Thanks again for the tip!
Stecchino
KDE Developer
aleboco wrote:Do you know if there are any plans to add a sort of "important episode" tag/mark/button so that one could choose not to delete some episodes even when the number of episodes to be generally stored is limited?

No, but that would be relatively easy to do. It requires a change to the database but some other changes are scheduled, so this would be a good opportunity.

Here is a bugzilla report entry for a Junior Job I just created: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=261062

You can add yourself to the CC list to keep updated or, if you are up to it, try to implement it yourself. I'll help.
aleboco
Registered Member
OS
Stecchino wrote:
aleboco wrote:Do you know if there are any plans to add a sort of "important episode" tag/mark/button so that one could choose not to delete some episodes even when the number of episodes to be generally stored is limited?

No, but that would be relatively easy to do. It requires a change to the database but some other changes are scheduled, so this would be a good opportunity.

Here is a bugzilla report entry for a Junior Job I just created: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=261062

You can add yourself to the CC list to keep updated or, if you are up to it, try to implement it yourself. I'll help.

Cool! Thanks a lot for this. I actually have zero coding skills--just 100% user--so I cannot help implementing it, but I'll certainly have a look from time to time!