This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok2 vs Amarok1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Amarok2 vs Amarok1

Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:22 pm
iria wrote:
Mamarok wrote:then tell us what exactly you are missing

Maybe fast start and no MySQL for database?

I don't want trolling, but this two things, are important to me. Are they possible?

1. The startup time at first start is a bit long, as there are many configurations to be done, but not on second start anymore, provided you don't have this constellation:
* Collection Browser sorted by Album with "Display Cover Art" enabled: then it will have to look after each cover separately, which can be quite time intensive.
* multiple streams in the playlist at startup: the URLs will have to be checked which takes time.

Currently, a great number of Saved playlists can also slow down the startup, this will be improved after Amarok 2.3.2 as we are currently in feature and string freeze and it needs some major changes.

2. Amarok 2 uses MySQLe by default, and you can also use an external MySQL server.

Again, you seem not to have ever tested Amarok 2.x, else you would know about MySQL.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
iria
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:36 pm
Again, you seem not to have ever tested Amarok 2.x, else you would know about MySQL.

No, I'm not testing but using it... Seriously...

I now that in future maybe nepomuk will be the answer. Many people don't whant MySQL in the desktop system only for Amarok!

The startup time at first start is a bit long, as there are many configurations to be done, but not on second start anymore

Exactly... not in second anymore... but other players start in secend. Why not Amarok?

This is output for amarok --debug --nofork

http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=gyQeEeJe

I have SSD in my notebook and others players like Clementine starts in 1s, but Amarok in 4s... Yes, for me this is the difference.

Last edited by iria on Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:49 pm
You complain about 4 seconds? Oh my...

I told you the potential reasons, check those.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
google01103
Manager

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:07 pm
iria - if you are going to post large amount of text or command output kindly use pastebin or equivalent sites

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

iria
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:08 pm
I checked, seriously. Playlist whas empty.
Yes for 4s for me with ssd. With hdd is ~8. Many people complains how slow Amarok2 is. Check internet! Don't bring kubuntus low standars into KDE SC!

@google01103
O.K. Sorry.

Last edited by iria on Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:27 pm
What I noticed in your pastebinned output, was quite a few online resources being booted up: Jamendo, Amapache, Magnatunes, Last.fm, and Shoutcast, maybe? That one wasn't in English. Anyway, if there are any of those services you don't use, dis-allow them in Settings > Configure Amarok > Internet Services. Each online service must be checked, which adds to your startup time. No reason to keep them active if you aren't using them!

All the best,

Valorie
iria
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:40 pm
Hi.

Thanks for notice, but all was unchecked. I only try last.fm, but without kwallet, Amarok2.3.1 dose not remember password in plain text (yes, I now workaround for this bug) for my account. I also turned off all scripts and checking for new version for them. And no plasma, only media and playlist.
cong06
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:13 am
Mamarok wrote:You complain about 4 seconds? Oh my...

Well, I'm noticing that amarok2 takes about twice as long to load as amarok1.4. Like you said, the times are small, so it's not a _big_ deal...

Also, the "kwallet" application is slowing it down a bit. I don't feel like I need to enter my kwallet password every time I open amarok2...
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Sep 09, 2010 5:18 am
You need to set KWallet to remain open, and to automatically allow Amarok in this case.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
cong06
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 11, 2010 7:56 am
bcooksley wrote:You need to set KWallet to remain open, and to automatically allow Amarok in this case.

Ok. I'm going crazy.
First off, I'm using gnome, so using amarok2.3 is like 10x harder then amarok1.4. (or else I managed to get amarok1.4 configured ages ago and have forgotten how difficult it was).

Anyway. I installed the packages 'systemsettings' and 'kwalletmanager'
'systemsettings' has nothing useful (that I can find) relating to kwallet.
'kwalletmanager' won't open.
I tried opening it in the terminal, and it doesn't give any output. When I 'ps -e | grep kwalletmanager' It shows up as a process running, but I can't use it as it apparently doesn't open in X

I was also told that if I go to the last.fm settings and click the wrench, I'd find a way to disable this. That's not there either.

These guys got kwalletmanager to work:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=5
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=8
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p= ... ostcount=9
Why isn't it opening for me?
cong06
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:27 am
Note: if this isn't the right place for the last post, I can move to the ubuntuforums or start a new thread here.

Back on topic though, I found another thing that I really like about amarok1.4: the ability to click on the icon and have it maximize or minimize.
Again, this might be a gnome/kde problem... but if you let me know where I can ask, I'll request it.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:50 am
If you are talking about the Amarok icon in the taskbar, when I click on it, Amarok pops up or minimizes to the taskbar. Also, if I hover my mouse over that icon while Amarok is playing, there is a nice popup with information about the track, such as the Title, Album, length, rating, volume, score, playcount and when it was last played.

If that isn't working in gnome, I don't know what to tell you, as I've never used gnome. KDE all the way, here.
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:51 am
The problem with KWallet for non-KDE users is solved in the upcoming Amarok 2.3.2

cong06
Registered Member
OS

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:07 pm
valoriez wrote:If you are talking about the Amarok icon in the taskbar, when I click on it, Amarok pops up or minimizes to the taskbar. Also, if I hover my mouse over that icon while Amarok is playing, there is a nice popup with information about the track, such as the Title, Album, length, rating, volume, score, playcount and when it was last played.

If that isn't working in gnome, I don't know what to tell you, as I've never used gnome. KDE all the way, here.

In Gnome Amarok gives me a nice dropdown when I click:
previous
play/pause
next
stop
--
restore
quit

Which is nice, but the kind of commands I'd wish for in my right click.
Right click gives me the "panel" options:
lock to panel
remove from panel
--
help
about

This is most definitly a gnome thing (though it's not an issue for amarok 1.4)

Mamarok wrote:The problem with KWallet for non-KDE users is solved in the upcoming Amarok 2.3.2

Sounds good! I'll await Amarok 2.3.2
Is there going to be further non-kde fixes?

I can see the advantage of switching to kde since amarok is such a bit part of my ubuntu experience, but I just prefer gnome.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:47 pm
KWalletManager will appear as a tray icon on your system.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]