This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok2 vs Amarok1

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
cong06
Registered Member
OS

Re: Amarok2 vs Amarok1

Sun Sep 12, 2010 4:42 am
bcooksley wrote:KWalletManager will appear as a tray icon on your system.

"will" or "does"?
cause right now it doesn't.
Note: again, I'm in gnome.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:30 am
If running, KWalletManager should appear in the system tray. You may wish to check the settings in System Settings > Advanced > KDE Wallet however, as there may be a setting to only show when a wallet is open.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
cong06
Registered Member
OS

Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:00 pm
bcooksley wrote:If running, KWalletManager should appear in the system tray. You may wish to check the settings in System Settings > Advanced > KDE Wallet however, as there may be a setting to only show when a wallet is open.

Those options aren't there in gnome.
KWalletManager does appear under "Applications > System Tools", (It hadn't before, but maybe it needs a restart to appear...?) but running does nothing.

Clicking, causes the mouse to spin for a bit and then stops.
"Launching KWallet Server" shows up in the task bar, and "ps -e | grep wallet" shows "kwalletmanager" and "kwalletd" both running.

Nothing actually shows up on my screen though.

Edit:
Re-reading your post, it seems you wanted me to run a different program to configure this KWalletManager. The other KDE program I've manged to find is "systemsettings" but I can't find anything in it that allows me to configure KWalletManager.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Mon Sep 13, 2010 5:29 am
Open System Settings > Advanced > KDE Wallet. Select the "Wallet Preferences" tab. Ensure that "Show manager in system tray" is ticked, and that "Hide system tray icon when last wallet closes" is unticked.

If you are using KDE 4.5, it can be found in System Settings > Account Details > KDE Wallet instead.

KDE Sysadmin
cong06
Registered Member
OS

Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:35 pm
bcooksley wrote:Open System Settings > Advanced > KDE Wallet.

It seems you won't believe me, but kwallet isn't under "advanced" The option isn't there.
Maybe you could give me a program that I could run that just might actually show up?
Do you know the name of the command that the menu entry "KDE Wallet" calls?
karoshi
Registered Member
OS

Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:06 pm
cong06 wrote:Do you know the name of the command that the menu entry "KDE Wallet" calls?

try

Code: Select all
kwalletmanager
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:46 am
Try running "kcmshell4 kwalletconfig". If you do not have that, then your KWallet installation is incomplete, and you need to install the appropriate KWalletManager package, or contact your distributor.

KDE Sysadmin
cong06
Registered Member
OS

Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:03 am
bcooksley wrote:Try running "kcmshell4 kwalletconfig". If you do not have that, then your KWallet installation is incomplete, and you need to install the appropriate KWalletManager package, or contact your distributor.

Ok. So I guess since it says:
"The modulel KWalletManager is not a valid configuration module"
it means it's broke. Most likely a missing dependency. (is this a result of using kubunutu-backports?)

I purged it and re-installed.
Let me see if I can confirm that it's the backports (by wiping everything kde, disabling the backports repo, and reinstalling amarok)

If there's other ideas, I'd love to hear them.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:38 am
The control module is likely part of either kdeutils or kdebase-workspace which may not be installed on your system.

KDE Sysadmin
cong06
Registered Member
OS

Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:20 am
bcooksley wrote:The control module is likely part of either kdeutils or kdebase-workspace which may not be installed on your system.

kdeutils did it.
I ran "kcmshell4 kwalletconfig"
Then I unchecked "Enable the KDE wallet subsystem"
Kwallet went crazy, so I killed it, and opened up a clean amarok.
This time amarok asked me if it could save the password in plaintext. Which is a solution for me.

Actually, it seems that if I had cleared the password from last.fm, killed kwalletd, and then tried to reconfigure amarok's last.fm, that would have worked just as well.

I imagine that configuring kwallet the way I did prevents it from running again, which, um... might be nice, although I may decide I need it after all in quanta.

KwalletManager still doesn't show up in my system tray (even though it's enabled) but it seems like I found a different solution. Kindof.