This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Transfer to a new machine

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
langstracht
Registered Member

Transfer to a new machine

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:13 pm
I have subscriptions to many podcast feeds in amarok on my "old" computer.

I'd just as well keying them all in to amarok on the new one.

Can I export/import or cut and paste a list somewhere/somehow?

Thanks for any help.
Stecchino
KDE Developer

Re: Transfer to a new machine

Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:47 pm
Unfortunately we ever got around to import podcasts from the old database like we do for track statistics. Adding that now would be no use since you only get the chance to do so once basically.

What I propose you do is find an amarok script that exports to OPML and then use the OPML import feature. It's located in the Podcast category of Media Sources. Looks like a white paper with an arrow on it in the toolbar.

Bart
langstracht
Registered Member

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:10 pm
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Alas I can't find what you suggested. And I wonder whether it's because I am using a different version (1.4.9.1) than you - if it's old I have to blame ubuntu's update manager, it's never offered a newer version. Besides ... it works just fine.
Stecchino
KDE Developer

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:17 pm
Yes, 1.4 is ancient and no longer actively developed by us.

But you can still transfer you subscriptions using a 3th party script:
http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/im ... tent=30719

Alas I can't find a script that can export OPML. It's actually not that hard if you know a bit of python and can write a simple SQL script (hint: something like "SELECT url FROM podcastchannels;"). You can even get the urls list and manually add them that way.

Bart
langstracht
Registered Member

Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:38 pm
O.k. thanks for your help, I'll see what I can do.

I know nothing about python so maybe this is as good a time as any to learn.

Ciao!
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Sun Aug 29, 2010 2:14 pm
Why python? The Scripts for Amarok 2.x should be in Javascript, and Amarok uses C++/Qt

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Stecchino
KDE Developer

Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:00 pm
Mamarok wrote:Why python? The Scripts for Amarok 2.x should be in Javascript, and Amarok uses C++/Qt

langstracht is trying to export from 1.4.9.1 and (as far as I can tell) will continue to use 1.4 on the new PC.

In any case there will need to be a dump of the rss feeds from 1.4 on the old PC made. Without scripting language knowledge (you can use anything the can support DCOP) that one might be easier to do by hand.
The import is a lot easier: once you have an OPML import it using the native function in amarok > 2.3 or the importOpmlAsPodcast script for 1.4.

Bart
langstracht
Registered Member

Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:02 pm
Sorry for any confusion but (unless there is a reason not to!!) I'd intended to get the latest ubuntu 10.04 synaptic manager version of amarok. Which, based on a previous post, would be a much higher version.