This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok 2 misdirected IMO

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
jpsage
Registered Member
OS

Amarok 2 misdirected IMO

Sat Oct 09, 2010 8:30 pm
I registered in this forum just to state my feelings to the the Amarok community. I have not read the other posts in the forum because I did not want them to confuse my thoughts so if this has been discussed I am sorry. Here are my opinions:

Amarok 2 is not focused in the correct direction. There is no reason for someone to use Amarok as a music player, there are tons of them that do that job wonderfully. What Amarok 1.4 does spectacularly is manage a music collection. When I first used it I loved that I could finally take my music and organize it the way I wanted. And just as I thought my music collection was just the way I wanted it I realized that it wasn't. Amarok 1.4 allows me to easily reorganize a subtree of my collection quickly and precisely. I tried it with 2.3 and it spun for awhile and then crashed.

In explaining how I manage my collection, others can chime in and say that is what they want Amarok to do or the community can dismiss me as a fringe operator.

In managing my collection of over 20k songs I first assign Amarok my new collection point (in the beginning it was just an empty folder on a disk) and then in the file menu I point to a subdirectory containing music that I want to collect (move to my collection). Using Easytag I verify that the subtree that I am pointing at has the correct genre assigned to every song. I then tell Amarok to move the files into my collection. Bing bang boom and it is done. For instance CCR is a an easy sub-directory, they all are classic rock so when I have completed my move my tree looks like: MyCollection/Classic_Rock/Creedence_Clearwater_Revival/... Using the "Details" -> "Custom" selections in the "Move files to Collection..." I am able to easily change how each member of my collection is stored on my disk. Then using Amarok I can easily search and display members of my collection in many different looks.

Bottom line: Amarok needs to be music management software first eye candy second.

I hope this is helpful if not I hope that it isn't hurtful since I know how difficult a task it is to write a quality piece of software. Thank you for your time.....
Stecchino
KDE Developer

Re: Amarok 2 misdirected IMO

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:47 am
jpsage wrote:I tried it with 2.3 and it spun for awhile and then crashed.

That is not misdirection, that is a bug, which is probably solved by now. I use the organizer in roughly the same way as you without problems.
TheBlackCat
Registered Member
OS

Re: Amarok 2 misdirected IMO

Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:17 am
I think the whole point of Amarok 2 was that it was intended to be a music player, there isn't really any other good, dedicated music player for KDE with music database capability. We have programs like juk for managing the music.

Man is the lowest-cost, 150-pound, nonlinear, all-purpose computer system which can be mass-produced by unskilled labor.
-NASA in 1965