This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok alters other tags when changing one

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Horus
Registered Member
OS
Hello,

usually I use easytag for editing my mp3 files tags. Something I do little modifications with amarok.

easytag has a field for saving the total number of tracks on the album. For the CD number I use a format like "1/2" (first CD of a two CD set). This works fine for example with iTunes. So far I thought amarok just ignored that information.

Now I've just disovered when I use amarok to edit a completely unrelated tag (like genre) it purges all that information. The total tracks field is deleted and the CD field becomes just "1".

Why is amarok doing that? How can I make it stop that?

I want this information on my files and I set when I add them to my collection. Amaroks behavior (which I have just discovered) makes it unusable for tag editing and has already detoriated a number of my files.

Thanks,

Florian
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I can't reproduce that the tags are rewritten here (tried with Amarok 2.4-git and Easytag 2.1.6), as changing some tags doesn't modify the entries for total track number and a "1/2" for the CD tag, but Amarok only reads the first number in the CD tag, the total number of tracks is not used by Amarok in the tag editor anyway. Could be a parsing error, I don't think Amarok does re-write the entry, at least I can't confirm that here.

Can you please file a bug for that: http://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=amarok

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Horus
Registered Member
OS
Ok, I just confirmed my bug (claim) with Amarok 2.3.2 / KDE 4.5.3 and easytag 2.1.6 on a fresh archlinux installation.

(my first posting was based on a bit outdated kubuntu installation, but also 2.3.2)

My report: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=256298
Mamarok
Manager
OS
I still don't see any CD tags rewritten, it is only parsing the first part of the 1/2 number, but it is not rewritten at all. Check again, the tag remains 1/2 if you check with easytag.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Horus
Registered Member
OS
Checked and confirmed here. After editing a tag in Amarok CD and total tracks field are altered as I have described above. Also confirmed that they were fine before.

Did you actually changed a tag? (genre for example)
Mamarok
Manager
OS
Yes, I did try this several times, easytag still shows the CD tag as 1/2 as I entered it, it only displays 1 in Amarok, since it parses only the first number. No other tag than those intended are rewritten here.

Horus
Registered Member
OS
I would suggest to keep the bug open since it's clearly reproducible for me. I'll check back as soon 2.4 is released. (or a minor upgrade will resolve it for me)