This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Where to keep Internet Radio streams

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
icthy
Registered Member
OS
I'm new to Amarok, and I'm struggling a bit to understand the user interface. For instance, I've just added an internet radio station, but I can't quite fathom where I am supposed to store it. It shows up currently as a playlist, and when I try to drag it to the "Internet" category in the left third of the Amorak window, this is not allowed. Nor can I seem to get my radio station into "Cool Streams" (or alter what is in this category).

Can someone please recommend where I might want to store Internet streams? Also, if you could tell me how to change the content in "Cool Streams", I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
google01103
Manager
You need to save your streams as a playlist(s). The saved playlist(s) will appear in playlists -> "saved playlists" in the media sources panel which is also where you can rename them by right clicking.

Playlists are saved by clicking the floppy (2nd in from left) icon at the bottom of the playlist panel (right most).

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

icthy
Registered Member
OS
Thanks! So, should I infer that the "Cool Streams" provided by Amorak are not user-configurable? I was figuring that I could add my streams to here.

Also, I see that when I add a stream to a playlist, I can't seem to change its title. For instance, Radio Paradise shows as "Stream (http://scfire-mtc-aa03.stream.aol.com:80/stream/1048)", and I can't seem to get it to display as Radio Paradise. Do you know if this is something I can change?
google01103
Manager
3 suggestions:

1) is to put 1 stream per playlist and then rename that playlist to a useful name ie "Radio Paradise"

2) create your own playlist and then import it to Amarok. If I understand correctly using the xspf playlist format will show the mnemonic (what is "title" in xspf, not the actual stream name) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XSPF

3) since cool streams is an added script you could edit it and add your own streams or clone it and create you own script so you won't worry about updating the one cloned. This looks pretty trivial just change a couple of files and some lines and of course proceed at your own peril. Though probably not needed to do this scripting in Amarok http://amarok.kde.org/wiki/Development/ ... _HowTo_2.0

google01103
Manager

icthy
Registered Member
OS
Thanks, I guess I'll save it as a playlist.

I might request from any developers that having a more formal location for streams would seem logical, or at least to have the ability to re-label streams. But I say this with gratitude for all the great work that has already been done!