This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to import iTunes library to amaroK?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Erlang
Registered Member
OS
Hello, Linux geniuses! First of all I want to say thank you for a great player amaroK. Also i want to know how to make amarok show artist, date, album name of wav files based on iTunes Music Library.xml file? Or based on directory name? All my music collection is located in directory: Music/Artist/Date Album name/№ track name.wav Is it possible to do what I want? I think yes! But I don't know how! Please someone help me!
google01103
Manager
I don't think there's anyway to import your iTunes Music Library.xml file into Amarok

Amarok uses tags to display artist, date, album name, etc.... so if your collection doesn't have tags filled the collection manager has nothing to show

You can use Amarok's file browser to navigate thru your collection based on directory layout but what you really should do is use a mass tagger like easytag (or picard or ......) to fill in the tags.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Mamarok
Manager
OS
While you can not import the physical tracks other than by copying those to an accessible folder, you can import statistics and rankings. Go to Settings -> Configure Amarok -> Collection -> Import. There you should be able to select the iTunes Music Library.xml and import the statistical data.

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
Erlang
Registered Member
OS
amarok use tags to display info, but... If I add one album to play and manualy edit tags player saves it and display. I think amarok keeps this info in one file like a text. Like iTunes do it in xml.  Or if I save this one album as a xspf playlist amarok open ti and display info. The only problem is that I have hundrids of albums... The strukture of xspf and xml files is the same but not exaktly. May I just automatikly create this file or convert my xml file and replaise amarok library file?
Sorry for my english from mobile.
Kash
Registered Member
OS
Erlang wrote:amarok use tags to display info, but... If I add one album to play and manualy edit tags player saves it and display. I think amarok keeps this info in one file like a text. Like iTunes do it in xml.  Or if I save this one album as a xspf playlist amarok open ti and display info. The only problem is that I have hundrids of albums... The strukture of xspf and xml files is the same but not exaktly. May I just automatikly create this file or convert my xml file and replaise amarok library file?
Sorry for my english from mobile.

There is no "amarok library file", It uses MySQL to store collection data. Amarok saves all metadata changes directly to audio file and to DB if file belong to collection. You can attach your iTunes collection using importer (as Mamarok wrote) but tracks will stay untagged, or you can tag your files and then move/copy to collection.

Feel free to PM me on Russian, btw. :)
Erlang
Registered Member
OS
The problem still not solved
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Really can't understand what is the problem here. Your tracks are tagged or you won't have a xml file. iCrap uses the same metatags to build the xml file as Amarok does to build its database. Do a simple scan over your music folder and import your xml file for ratings, playcounts etc. afterwards. Amarok does the same as iTunes. Select the folder(s) containing your music, hit the button, make a cup of tea and you're done.

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.