This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Scheduled Podcast Download

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
tracyde
Registered Member
OS

Scheduled Podcast Download

Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:53 pm
I am using Amarok 2.3.2 (OpenSuse 11.3) and have just moved completely away from my Mac (gave to the wife). My broadband is via satellite and I have a download cap but can download however much I want between 0200-0700. I mainly listen to podcasts and have setup Amarok to download the podcasts when found but have yet to find a way to either cron or script the actual downloading of the podcasts between the hours listed above.

I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty doing a bit of coding, just need a solution to schedule podcast download times.

Advice?
google01103
Manager

Re: Scheduled Podcast Download

Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:17 pm
there are various pod apps available outside of Amarok you can look at:

Videocatcher (kde), miro, gpodder (gnome), juice, jpodder (java), kpodder (old, not sure works),KBashPod

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

Stecchino
KDE Developer

Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:27 am
tracyde wrote:I am using Amarok 2.3.2 (OpenSuse 11.3) and have just moved completely away from my Mac (gave to the wife). My broadband is via satellite and I have a download cap but can download however much I want between 0200-0700. I mainly listen to podcasts and have setup Amarok to download the podcasts when found but have yet to find a way to either cron or script the actual downloading of the podcasts between the hours listed above.

I am not afraid of getting my hands dirty doing a bit of coding, just need a solution to schedule podcast download times.

Advice?

I'm planning to add a scripting interface so the podcasts can be controlled that way. Sounds like a DBus trigger to start downloading will do for you because you can use a cron script, but I'm aiming for something a little more accessible?

Are you familiar with the scripting in amarok? It's just QtScript, javascript like with access to all Qt classes. I can hurry up with the scripting interface if you want to write and publish a scheduler script.

Bart
tracyde
Registered Member
OS

Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:36 am
Stecchino wrote:Sounds like a DBus trigger to start downloading will do for you because you can use a cron script, but I'm aiming for something a little more accessible?

Are you familiar with the scripting in amarok? It's just QtScript, javascript like with access to all Qt classes. I can hurry up with the scripting interface if you want to write and publish a scheduler script.

Yes a DBus trigger would work for me, I tried looking for something usable but didn't find anything.

I am not currently familiar with QtScript but can be just need the API docs and an example script or two. I would be very happy to write and publish a scheduler script, I have been looking for a way to give back to the OpenSource community for awhile now.

-Derek