This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

How to import/repair m3u playlists?

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Chazar
Registered Member

How to import/repair m3u playlists?

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:20 am
Is there an easy way to repair or import a foreign .m3u playlist to Amarok?

I want to import playlists created by friends or on my own mobile mp3 player, but unfortunately the relative paths do not match up.

Since the #EXTINF tag contains the title, which is often enough unique, I would expect that a function or script exists that could import a playlist based on simple equality of the title. However, I could not find any, but I might have looked in the wrong places. Of course, an improved matching based on length and Artist or Album being contained in the given invalid path is also imaginable.

Any suggestion on how to achieve such an import function through a script and whether this is feasible for an Amarok-Script-Newbie is also appreciated. Thanks!
Martux
Registered Member
OS
You could easily use a text editor "search & replace" for an adjusting of the pathnames... Kate for example is quite powerful for stuff like that.
Chazar
Registered Member
Hello, no search and replace will not help. :(

I can easily fix the path with search & replace, but the name of the file itself is different: sometimes its just artist and track number, sometimes it is just album & track number, sometimes it is just the track name.

Even for my mobile device, I used (the old's) Amarok's export feature to rename the files, since my first player only showed to filenames and so I abbreviated them to artists and track titles. However, on the harddisk I use full file names with album and everything.

So I would need to look up every single file manually - not easy.

However, the id3 tags for the files should be largely identical - so matching up a playlist with the Amarok's database would be handy!
Martux
Registered Member
OS
Hm, ok. What about renaming the files based on the id3? Every better id3-editor can do that...
Otherwise I have no more ideas.
Chazar
Registered Member
Yes, I know how to rename files by id3 tag, but how does this help?

The files are there, but I don't want to have multiple files containing the same song! If I rename the file according to one playlist, then all my other playlists cease to work.

I want the playlist to work on a different set of files, which are the same songs, that could be identified by id3 tag.
Chazar
Registered Member
PS: Thanks for the suggestions nevertheless! :) (While I not meant it that way, I see that my replies may sound somewhat harsh and I apologise if that was the case.)

I would really be happy if there was an alternative way.
Martux
Registered Member
OS
No problem. I also have a problem, where I have no other possibility than to just copy and paste the names of the songs. Annoying with 500 songs but I have no other options :( Sorry I could not help you.