This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Amarok is choppy

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
chico1st
Registered Member
OS

Amarok is choppy

Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:17 am
Hello I am using amarok and it is skippy (every 20s average) but no other programs are.
My computer is pretty speedy.
I have amarok 2.3.2, KDE 4.5.2, and xine 0.2.60.
Xine is the only option when i go to Amarok-settings-backend so I assume that is what im using
I dont have replay gain on.

Any ideas of what else to do?

Thanks!
google01103
Manager

Re: Amarok is choppy

Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:06 pm
There are phonon backends other than xine, you should see if PCLinuxOS has them in their repositories.
They would be phonon-backend-vlc and phonon-backend-gstreamer (at least that's what openSuse calls them) - I'd suggest vlc.

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

chico1st
Registered Member
OS

Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:05 am
phonon-gstreamer seems to have fixed it :)
phonon-VLC had less skipping but definitely still had it.
chico1st
Registered Member
OS

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:03 am
so i have found out that using the VLC phonon backend causes amarok to crash when i try to close it.

does anyone know how to fix this?
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:14 am
This crash on exit has been fixed in GIT (trunk), but it is annoying, I agree! Not much you can do but wait until the next release, unless you want to build it from source, I'm sorry to say.
chico1st
Registered Member
OS

Re: Amarok is choppy  Topic is solved

Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:35 pm
i am perfectly happy waiting for it, if the fix is out there :)
thats a better answer to me than some kooky modify this file solution. Less work when/if i re-install :)
chico1st
Registered Member
OS

Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:36 pm
FYI: with Amarok 2.4 and Xine 2.60 this is still an issue, although the skipping is much rarer.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:52 am
Sad to say, xine is unmaintained these days. On the other hand, the Phonon developers are hard at work making Phonon better, and the VLC and Gstreamer backends too. My advice is to have two or three possibilities available -- if one is having difficulties, you can always switch.
chico1st
Registered Member
OS

Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:49 pm
is xine still better than VLC valoriez?
I find it odd that there is no skipping on my laptop but there is on my desktop with a soundblaster. :S