This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

amarok 2.4 with an empty collection after upgrade to kde 4.6

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
NoobSaibot
Registered Member
OS
just upgraded to kde sc 4.6 ... after a sys reboot and start of amarok i see that my collection is empty. a full collection rescan filled the collection again, however ... my dynamic playlists -- which used to work -- fill the playlist with the same song over and over again.

any ideas what happened?

NoobSaibot, proud to be a member of KDE forums since 2008-Oct.
NoobSaibot
Registered Member
OS
although ... all the stats are gone and as far as i can tell lots of manual editing meta data is also lost.

Silenzium
Registered Member
OS
Same problem here.

I tried to solve the problem yesterday by replacing the amarok folder with a backup and it seemed to be solved, but after a new boot today everything is gone again. :(
Silenzium
Registered Member
OS
It's reproducible. I copied my backup folder and rebootet. Then, I started Amarok and first it looked ok, but then the album covers disappeared. After that, I restarted Amarok and the database was gone. At least nothing's shown. But I'm not sure, if the database is destroyed, because the mysqle folder looks like there's still data. The file directories.MYI however double its size.

Edit: If you're having the same problem, I'd recommend not to rescan your files. Looks likes this makes it even worse. After that, Amarok shows the tracks again, but all stats are gone.
NoobSaibot
Registered Member
OS
no, it doesn't seem to be that bad on my box as it appears to be on yours. i just had to rescan. the "bug" with the dynamic playlist disappeared after i created a new dynamic list -- with a more simple filter criteria.

however, the stars and the stats are gone. that sucks!

Silenzium
Registered Member
OS
I tested a little bit, but I can't prevent Amarok from breaking my database. If I revert to my pre KDE 4.6 backup, Amarok destroys my collection every time it rescans it. After this rescan, my collection is empty. The only possibility to play music again, is to do a complete rescan in the options. But this erases all stats.
This sucks. I'm using Amarok for years and I don't want to loose my statistics and ratings.
Silenzium
Registered Member
OS
Ok, I found a way how Amarok does not destroy my collection. I simply delete amarokrc before copying my pre 4.6 backup over. Looks like there's an option in amarokrc which makes this happen. I don't know which one, though. However, this doesn't bring the destroyed collections back. :(

Edit: It's not amarokrc which causes the problem, it's rather the first run assistant who makes makes the pre 4.6 database work again. The new amarokrc and the backup collection don't work together as well. Weird stuff.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS
Silenzium, now that you have pin-pointed the problem, PLEASE file a bug! We don't want anyone losing their statistics from a simple upgrade. This is very bad; please help us prevent this in the future.

http://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=amarok
fjalar
Registered Member
OS
Same problem here - I just opened a thread in the German forum. Good that I still have my 1.4 database on my MySQL server to recover from, so the loss shouldn't be too big.

Like all of KDE 4.x, Amarok is going from bad to worse.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
Amarok includes DB scheme updates, but doesn't migrate proper. This is a known issue, causing multiple data loss in the past.
@fjalar
Blaming doesn't help. Ask/provide something useful to solve the issue.

m0nk

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
fjalar
Registered Member
OS
Dieter Schroeder wrote:Amarok includes DB scheme updates, but doesn't migrate proper. This is a known issue, causing multiple data loss in the past.
@fjalar
Blaming doesn't help. Ask/provide something useful to solve the issue.

Dieter, I realize that and I'm normally not the person that just whines about things not working without trying to contribute, but looking at the evolution of the general KDE environment that I have been using as of version 1, from way back since 1998 when I first got in touch with Linux, I am at a loss of words. Where else could I say what I feel about KDE if not in the KDE forums. The way I see it, KDE is declining from the highly usable 3.5.10 version to a beta release. An application that destroys data from previous releases has obviously never been tested. It is alpha software and should be labeled as such.

So the databases aren't properly migrating, causing data loss in the past - a known issue. Does anybody here feel a new version should be released before extensively testing a known issue and making sure it has been addressed?

The best I can contribute is this: KDE officials, withdraw this version before it drives more users away.

Currently I am reimporting my V. 1.4 database that's still on my MySQL server. This will probably bring me back to where I changed over to 2.x some weeks ago.

Sorry for the rant, I would be happy to say something delightful, but I really have no idea how the developers can allow such a thing to happen. It is undermining people's trust in KDE.
Bausparfuchs
Registered Member
OS
Same happened to me :-( Upgraded to 4.6 on my Gentoo. All statistics are gone. I used this to start over with a completely new Mysql DB because my last dump is a bit old. I switched the "write statistics to tag" option to avoid such things in the future.

fjalar
Registered Member
OS
Reimporting the V 1.4 databse worked.
Dieter Schroeder
Registered Member
OS
@fjalar
Known issue for me as a user. I'm neither involved in the development of KDE, nor in Amarok's.
As a long term visitor of this forum, I realized that most problems here happened to users of anybuntu. Don't know, whether this is caused by the large userbase or by less quality compared to other distributions.
Most users forget, that this software is developed by volunteers for their own purpose and shared as a gift. It is impossible to test software on all combinations of hard/software plus distributions plus user customizations plus the daily weather plus the mood of the major of your hometown.
Even large software companies don't have the manpower to do so. I know it, I've worked for some of them.
Import of last.fm stats as already implemented in other music organizers would be really helpful.

m0nk

Last edited by Dieter Schroeder on Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

If men could get pregnant, abortion would be a sacrament.
NoobSaibot
Registered Member
OS
some sort of automatic db backup should be implemented where, on a major/minor update -- or on several other occassions developers think it might be necessary --, amarok dumps all the data to a safe place -- might even be a copy of tables.

i've enriched my backup script now to dump all the amarok data whenever i backup my system.