This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Moving through the playlist

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

Moving through the playlist

Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:33 am
I've constructed a playlist using Add Media. The problem I'm having is that if I go to an item on the playlist -- even the first one -- that item plays and nothing more happens. Playing does not move on to the next item on the playlist. As a result, I can't get the entire playlist to play without having to intervene after each item.

How can I get the playlist to play in its entirety? Can I do this if I start somewhere in the middle instead of at the beginning?
Mamarok
Manager
OS

Re: Moving through the playlist

Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:42 am
Which Amarok version and which KDE version are you using? Also which Phonon backend? See also Settings menu -> Configure Amarok -> Playback -> Configure Phonon button

Running Kubuntu 22.10 with Plasma 5.26.3, Frameworks 5.100.0, Qt 5.15.6, kernel 5.19.0-23 on Ryzen 5 4600H, AMD Renoir, X11
FWIW: it's always useful to state the exact Plasma version (+ distribution) when asking questions, makes it easier to help ...
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

My environment

Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:52 pm
I'm running Amarok 2.3.2 under KDE 4.5.1 and Kubuntu Maverick 10.10, with PulseAudio as my back end according to Phonon. I don't think Pulseaudio is at fault here since once I start a track, it plays correctly.

I have another problem that might be relevant: I can't play streams, not even the Cool Streams. I can put a stream on the playlist but clicking the Start button does nothing. After a few seconds I get an "unknown" message. I can, however, play streams in mplayer and I can also play single mp3s in Amarok.
(The streams I've been looking at are in m3u format.)
google01103
Manager

Re: Moving through the playlist

Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:58 pm
I can't replicate either problems using 2.4.1beta - consider up'ing to 2.4.0 (or 2.4.1beta if available)

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

Testing 2.3.2; getting 2.4.0

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:17 pm
It would be useful, I'd think, to see if you encounter the problems with 2.3.2, if you can still run it. Meanwhile, where can I find the newer versions?
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

Found 2.4.0, it works

Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:58 pm
I was able to download and install 2.4.0 (plus its dependencies) after all, And as you say, it solves both problems.

Still, I find it surprising that an officially released version would misbehave so badly. It might be worth tracking down the problem, since there may be something else going on that will sooner or later surface.
Sentynel
KDE Developer
OS

Re: Found 2.4.0, it works

Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:44 pm
pwabrahams wrote:I was able to download and install 2.4.0 (plus its dependencies) after all, And as you say, it solves both problems.

Still, I find it surprising that an officially released version would misbehave so badly. It might be worth tracking down the problem, since there may be something else going on that will sooner or later surface.

The problem is related to particular configurations of Phonon and its backend (it's linked to an old version of the Gstreamer backend if I remember correctly). Lots of bug fixes and upgrades to Phonon and both of the currently supported backends (Gstreamer and VLC, Xine being no longer supported) since then.