This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

Rearranging a playlist

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

Rearranging a playlist

Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:19 pm
Is there a way to rearrange the items on a playlist? Drag and drop works if the playlist fits on a single page but is totally unsuitable for long playlists. Cut and paste would serve the purpose if it were available, but it isn't. s
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Re: Rearranging a playlist

Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:38 am
You can do a search, and select and move all those tracks, or queue them. Also, tracks can be selected en masse with the shift key, or one by one with the control key.

Also, you can set up a sort, which will automatically order the tracks for you.

Queue always over-rides the playlist track progression set.
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

How to move the tracks?

Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:05 pm
I can select the tracks as you suggest, but how can I move them? Suppose that the place I want to move them to is several pages away. I can't display both the selection and the target location at the same time.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Sun Mar 27, 2011 9:14 pm
My goodness, why such an enormous playlist? If you will be playing music continuously for quite awhile, our dynamic playlist is ideal. Just decide the paramenters, check the ON tickbox, and enjoy music for as long as you like.
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:29 pm
I'm playing classical music, where maintaining the order of tracks within a composition is essential. I don't see how I can do that with a dynamic playlist. Typically, I have several compositions on the playlist and I want to advance the most recently added one to a different position. Cut and paste would solve the problem if it was available.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:20 pm
In this case, queue is probably what you want. Select the tracks sequentially using shift plus click, or to skip some, use control plus click. Once they are selected, right click and enqueue.

If you change your mind, or want to queue more tracks, the queue editor is at the bottom-right of your playlist.
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

Using the queue editor

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:33 am
I discovered the queue editor, but when I bring it up it has nothing in it. How do you populate it with the tracks on the playlist? I tried selecting the entire playlist and then calling the queue editor, but it still gave me an empty queue.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:41 am
Once you place tracks in queue, they should be in the editor. If they are not, please file a bug! From your Help menu: Report Bug.
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

Populating the queue

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:55 am
I'm running Amarok 2.4.0. Is the queue populated with the tracks in your system? Knowing that will tell us if the problem is in my environment or is actually a general Amarok bug.
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 am
The queue is populated by your selections from the playlist. You can queue tracks which are not on your system, such as streams. I don't use the queue or the queue editor often -- mostly to test -- but it has always worked flawlessly, and is continuing to work for me in Kubuntu 10.10, KDE 4.6.1, Amarok Version 2.4-GIT.
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

Queue behavior

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:18 am
If you get a different result than I do, then there must be some difference either in what we're doing or in my environment. At the moment I have a playlist with three items. I've selected them all, although that shouldn't make a difference. I then click on the rightmost icon below, the one with three bars, which brings up the queue editor. And the editor window has nothing in it. If I try to drag the tracks into the queue editor, the queue editor goes poof. Am I missing something? Is it possible that version 2.4-GIT differs from 2.4.0 in how the queue editor behaves? Where would I find 2,4-GIT?
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:59 am
Selecting tracks doesn't queue them. Once they are selected, right-click and choose Queue Track. You'll see small numbers to the left of the track titles, which is the order in which they are queued. If you want to change this, use the Queue Editor.
pwabrahams
Registered Member
OS

The blue dots

Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:45 pm
Aha! I used "queue track" as you suggested and indeed, it works just as you said it would.

But what does the blue dot on a track signify? Is there an explanation of this sort of thing anywhere in the available docs?
valoriez
KDE CWG
OS

Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:14 pm
In our nearly-done Handbook, there is a lot of information.

http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual/A ... eueManager documents Queuing; see http://userbase.kde.org/Amarok/Manual for the entire thing.