This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

[Solved] Amarok ignores Phonon settings for main soundcard

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
Asraniel
Registered Member
Hello,

I have a setup where i use a external USB soundcard when i'm at home with my laptop. Phonon lets me specify what soundcard to use, even for different types of applications (music, notfications, video etc).
Now the problem is, this works with all applications, except amarok. When i watch a film with vlc or dragon, use flash in a browser etc, the external soundcard is used.
The phonon settings are correct. I use kubuntu 10.10 with the PPA that gives me kde 4.6.1 with amarok 2.4.0.
I use xine as the phonon backend, which is default in kubuntu. I also tried with vlc and gstreamer as the phonon backend, everytime with the same outcome (well, actually vlc and gstreamer broke the other multimedia apps, but thats a different problem).

Is there any way i can tell amarok which soundcard to use? I don't see why dragon and amarok, which both use phonon, don't use the same soundcard (i can even use them at the same time, both using a different soundcard).

Thank you very much for your help

Last edited by Asraniel on Wed May 18, 2011 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bcooksley
Administrator
OS
Do you have Pulseaudio installed (I suspect you do) and if so, please try installing the appropriate Pulseaudio output for Xine.

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
Asraniel
Registered Member
Sorry for the late reply.

I checked all packages from pulseaudio and xine, but there is none that mentions pulseaudio and xine.

It is a more or less default kubuntu 10.10 installation with pulseaudio and xine as the phonon backend.
Asraniel
Registered Member
Just tested with amarok 2.4.1 and kubuntu 11.04, still the same problem. Searching for alternatives to amarok now. Thanks for your help anyway!
Asraniel
Registered Member
ok, thanks to coling and valorie in the irc chanel, the problem could be solved!

The problem was very wierd, i don't really understand it, so i will just quote coling for what the problem was and how to solve it:

Problem:
"OK, so you've probably activated a per-application routing that takes priority over the categories setup"

Solution:
"In kmix, when amarok is playing, Go to the Playback tab, and right click on Amarok. then select Move... -> "Use default for category"

And it works! Again thanks to everybody! i'm very happy that it works again :)