This forum has been archived. All content is frozen. Please use KDE Discuss instead.

PC crashed. Can't open Amarok

Tags: None
(comma "," separated)
PJDudley
Registered Member
OS

PC crashed. Can't open Amarok

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:16 pm
Darned tornado crashed my 'puter the other day. When I booted up
KDE had differe :( nt look. Large flat icons. A popup asked me to
set up Amarok. I dismissed the popup. I was very concerned about
the desktop that I now had. I now wish I had took the time to
respond to the Amarok setup. Now when I try to fire up Amarok it
displays the intro popup which dies after a few seconds and nothing
else.

I am running Slack 11, KDE 3.5.4 and Amarok 1.4.3. I was very
satisfied with the above and have no intention with upgrading
( old pc - slim on resources ).

Can someone please tell me how to get to that Amarok setup screen
so I can have my Amarok back ... ?

advTHANKSance

= Paul =
google01103
Manager

Re: PC crashed. Can't open Amarok

Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:25 pm
I would rename/move/delete the Amarok folder and rc files, this will clean all your settings and database and you will need to reconfigure and scan from scratch

should be ~/.kde/share/apps/amarok & ~/.kde/share/config/amarok*rc

note: some distro's use ~/.kde4 instead of ~/.kde

OpenSuse Leap 42.1 x64, Plasma 5.x

PJDudley
Registered Member
OS

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:13 pm
Are you saying that there is no way to get to that setup screen ?
It seems to me that that would be just as well ....

= Paul =
google01103
Manager

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:41 pm
wait sorry you're running 3.5 and 1.4 which I don't have

even without that popup screen responded to Amarok should start with the defaults

try:
1) to get the screen you're looking for edit the amarokrc file and look for a line something like "firstrun=false" and change to true, then restart Amarok

2) in Konsole run with "amarok --debug" to see what errors print out

3) run a diff user, does it start up?

PJDudley
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:16 am
Thank you very much ... So far so good. I did as you suggested.
Right now it is "Updating database". It's been doing so for
awhile now but I do have a lot of tunes out there. Hopefully
that is why.

What part of MA ? I hail from Worcester. I'm a Dunn, NC transplant.
Saw my first 'nado a couple of days ago. Don't want to ever see another.
Worcester got hit by one back in '53, or so I've been told.

I'll reply again for sure once the 'updating' finishes. Hope
it's not hung or anything....

= Paul =
google01103
Manager

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:19 am
I'm in Spfld, never saw a 'nado - never want to

any other issues after the crash?

google01103
Manager

Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:04 pm
couple of thoughts:
- you're running 3.5.4, but KDE 3 went to 3.5.10 http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-3.5.10.php
- 3.5.x was forked into Trinity http://www.trinitydesktop.org/about.php

PJDudley
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:45 pm
Well ... It is still broken.

> 3) run a diff user, does it start up?

I ran amarok as a diff user and it did start up ( although
no sound when I played the welcome ogg.

> any other issues after the crash?

I haven't noticed anything else ... yet ...

Do you think that if I copy all the amarok files from my 'test'
user to my account that it might then work ? I might give that a try.

= Paul =
google01103
Manager

Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:58 pm
I don't know, if you copy them then you need to reset your collection locals and that might force a full rescan (don't know)

the problem could be in a file in your amarok folder

did you try in Konsole "amarok --debug" ?

PJDudley
Registered Member
OS

Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:48 pm
Script started on Wed 20 Apr 2011 07:44:42 PM EDT
dudley@mochum:~$ amarok --debug
Amarok: [Loader] Starting amarokapp..
Amarok: [Loader] Don't run gdb, valgrind, etc. against this binary! Use amarokapp.
amarokapp: Unknown option '--debug'.
amarokapp: Use --help to get a list of available command line options.
dudley@mochum:~$
Script done on Wed 20 Apr 2011 07:45:00 PM EDT

Didn't see much under amarokapp --help.
I guess I might have to go with your first suggestion.

= Paul =
google01103
Manager
there should be a debug option in 1.4 try "amarok --help"

you can try cleaning out the amarok directory except for the db and see what happens

bcooksley
Administrator
OS

Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:34 am
Amarok 1.4 didn't feature the --debug functionality of the Amarok 2.x series. Please try running "kbuildsycoca --noincremental", then close amarok, and start it on the console by running "amarokapp --nofork"

KDE Sysadmin
[img]content/bcooksley_sig.png[/img]
PJDudley
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:54 pm
Script started on Thu 21 Apr 2011 02:51:56 PM EDT
dudley@mochum:~$ kbuildsycoca --noincremental
kbuildsycoca running...
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: Parse error in /home/dudley/.config/menus/applications-merged/xdg-desktop-menu-dummy.menu, line 1, col 1: unexpected end of file
kio (KSycoca): ERROR: No database available!
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/ark.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/kde-amarok.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/asx'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/kde-amarok.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/midi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/kde-amarok.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-aac'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/kde-amarok.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-m4a'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'ark_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-tbz2'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'karm_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kpovmodeler.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KPovModeler/Document'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kfile_ooo.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.global'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kfile_ooo.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.sun.xml.writer.math'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'nsplugin.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'jpi-version=1.3.1_01'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'nsplugin.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'jpi-version=1.3.1_02'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'klinkstatus_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kchartpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.chart,application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.chart-template'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/bmp'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/g3fax'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-compressed-xcf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-fits'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-gray'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-png'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-portable-anymap'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-portable-graymap'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-psd'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-sgi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-sun-raster'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-tga'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-xbitmap'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-xcf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-xpixmap'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gimp-2.2.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-xwindowdump'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kvoctrain.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-kvoctrain'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kvoctrain.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-kvtml'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-ms-dos-executable'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-msdownload'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/exe'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-exe'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/dos-exe'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'vms/exe'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-winexe'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/msdos-windows'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/wine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-zip-compressed'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kdevjavadebugger.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KDevelop/Part'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gvim.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gvim.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/gvim.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kuickshow.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-psd'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kuickshow.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-eim'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/xine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-anim'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Office/krita_magick.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/x-xcf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/usr/share/applications/audacious.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/mp3'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kcertpart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/binary-certificate'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/opt/kde/share/applications/kde/kmid.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/midi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kfile_media.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'media/gphoto2camera,media/camera_mounted,media/camera_unmounted'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kformulapart.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.formula-template'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'kxsldbg_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-avi'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-fli'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-asx'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-real-audio'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-flac'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-asf'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-m4a'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-ms-wax'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/dv'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-anim'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'video/x-flc'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'misc/ultravox'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-matroska'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-aiff'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-au'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-wav'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'audio/x-pn-windows-acm'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: '/home/dudley/.local/share/applications/gxine.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'image/vnd.rn-realpix'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'qeditor_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/english'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'qeditor_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'qeditor_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-c++'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'qeditor_part.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'text/x-sql'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'knotify.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'KNotify'
kbuildsycoca: WARNING: 'Office/kexi.desktop' specifies undefined mimetype/servicetype 'application/x-kexiproject-sqlite'
dudley@mochum:~$ amarokapp --nofork
amarokapp: Unknown option '--nofork'.
amarokapp: Use --help to get a list of available command line options.
Script done on Thu 21 Apr 2011 02:53:20 PM EDT
PJDudley
Registered Member
OS

Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:23 pm
> you can try cleaning out the amarok directory except for the db and see what happens

Well, I renamed .kde/share/apps/amarok and fired up Amarok.
This time it did build a database and now everything appears
to work fine.

Thank you all for your help in this matter. I will now mark my topic as solved... Gotta shutdown now. Thunder in the background. Don't want to risk another crash.!

Thanks again

= Paul =